Torvalds: Software subscriptions doomed

ral

I agree with Torvalds.

Selling subscriptions to software is doomed, Linus just wants to kick MS a bit here... ;)

Don't mistake the software subscriptions with, for instance, the mandrakeclub, where you subscribe to a club that gives you a certain service. (most of the software that's on mdk cds is just OSS, not mdk software, so it's not theirs to sell. Also the mdk software is OSS too)

And keep on posting if you feel like it, no worries (I just got here thinking: hey, RAL is back :) )

Mandrakeclub no. Thats fine.

More like RedHat $178 a year Advance Workstation.

"I just got here thinking: hey, RAL is back"

Was just busy in a few overclocking forums the past few weeks. :twisted:

Guest Adriano

Sorry to be pedantic, but OSS does also mean it is "yours" to sell. You can sell OSS software you didn't develop (well, depends on the license, but at least the GPL allows it).

Anyway, Mandrake Club "sells" mostly binaries to commercial, non-open source programs, doesn't it?

No, you're not sounding pedantic, it is of course completely true what you say.

I didn't express myself correctly, I meant: it's not theirs ALONE to sell....

And the major benefit I had from the club are the special ftp servers when all public servers are overloaded and I want to get my NewReleaseShot... ;)

Guest JaseP

Well, the story is ancient, but it is still relevant. M$ is getting my company to have us pay for a subscription to have current applications,... and because my company is "in bed" with them, I have little choice but to capitulate. Part of that subscription price (and probably the vast majority of it) is for our own proprietary applications, but a significant part of it is for Office 2000 and Windoze XPee. If loosing M$ from the equation saved me $10 per month, I'd welcome it.

Only 10 dollars a month? That's peanuts.. Or do you mean 10 dollars per month for you alone? If your company have a few hundred employees and multiply that 10 bux with the number of employees, yeah.. I guess it can grow to a lot of moolah.

Guest JaseP

That's $10 per month personally. There are 7,000 agents in my company (no, I don't own it personally, if I did we WOULD be using Linux). So that would translate to $840,000 per year saved by all agents of this company combined, not to mention the savings to the R&D dept. as they used Open Source development tools and to the IT dept. as they saved $$$ in server administration. Plus $10 per month is modest in terms of the savings. Probably $20 per month is spent on the M$ licenses included in the package.

Thats the part I don't get. Linux is supposed to be cheaper, but if I want a RedHat Linux Enterprise Worstation and three years patch support I need to shell out $179 per seat. Win2000 I can get got $80 and get update and patch support till 2007.

Savigns can be had by using the free or perosal editions, but those porducts are being curtailed little by little.

What is included in RHEW and what is included in Win2k? If the patch/update includes things like OpenOffice Update and things like that I think it's a good deal.

I have a feeling that RHEW is a bit of an overkill in your case though.

I tend to agree that software subscriptions are doomed, Linux or MS.

You can't expect a user sick with MS registration, support costs and registering online to breath a sigh of relief when they go out and buy a Box Set only to find they are directed to Mandrake Club (via subscription) and Mandrake Expert (via Pay as you go).

This board rocks, I lost my password for MandrakeClub and I won't be going back! You used to get a credit from the boxset for Mandrake expert but not anymore. I think it would be better for Mandrake to either redirect suppoort here or make the Forum free on mandrakeclub.

The problem for me is I felt I was doing my thing by purchasing a set (70 Euros) but then they want more money. They should at least off 50Euros credit or something if you bought it instead of just downloaded it. Its not just the money its the principle.

Mandrake are not interested in (negative) comments from users anymore. Check out the site. Nowhere do you get a chance to give contructive criticism. This is just as valid from a first time Mandrake (or Linux) user as an expert. If they aren't taking comments from users how can they be working on making it more user friendly. Even the comments from beta testers seem to have been ignored unless they were simply something didn't work.

OK I'm ranting but I've suported Mandrake for a long time and I think the 'subscription model' is OK so long as thats it, no hidden extras! Same goes for selling box sets or PC's at Walmart. When you combine the two though it starts to smell of MS. I don't mind paying for StarOffice seperately (or any other commercial software) but I think it should be transparent.

Guest JaseP

You've got to realize that the Mandrake club is a "please support Mandrake" kinda thing, and is not required. If you really want, you can download the distro, burn your own ISOs and never pay a dime to them.

I personally just buy a boxed copy every so often.

I agree its a please support us thing but Mandrake need to think about their image.

The world is divided into 4 sets of people.

Those who think MS is the best thing that happened since fire was discovered. (Quite a lot)

Those who detest everything they do/say/manipulate (including me but a small minority)

Those who don't really care what Microsoft do (The majority) so long as they don't get caught with the pritated copy of office. (A large majority about to be screwed over).

Someone in a jungle in borneo who is more worried about his next meal.

I buy the box set myself but it should confer some recompense. I buy it even though he manuals are in French (not my preferred language) so I thow them away and print the pdf's. (this is becuase I live in France).

But then I find poor quality CD's, just feel the edges. (Well my sets anyway, both 9.0 and 9.1.) I checked with free cd's from mags and theyre much better.

So I still odwnload and burn my own Cd's for backup.

I don't mind to pay for the work they did but you should only pay once.

They used to give support creidts with the box sets, not anymore.

I don't have a problem with for instance buying a box set in a store and just getting the manuals and a link to follow... (well in theory) but they need to rationalise the whole thing.

The number of packages/patches needed in 9.1 is horrific, it makes the box set redundant anyway. What would a first time switcher form Windows think??? I like Mandrake and I want them to stay around but they have a position to support. Most of their profits come from rebadging someone elses work but that's fine, its the GPL model. Also they have tried adding value too (genuinely) so I'm not attacking that but since they have reused work (correctly) and what they owe back to the linux community in general is a regard for the general image for linux.

A windows user switching becuase of licencing, activation or general public good will be detered by the inference that they then pay for more things.

Also the advertising is getting misleading. Plays your DVD's SHOULD not be on the box. Its an advert for MS to say, yeah but not any you can buy or rent from a video store. Yet, at least on the french version its written on the box.