upgrading to kernel 2.6.24

i visited distrowatch and came to know that mandriva 2008.1 is coming with kernel 2.6.24.

i have mandriva 2008 installed on my notebook. should i upgrade my kernel to 2.6.24? is the new kernel available in any mandriva repositories? if so, where?

also please post here the urls from where i can upgrade my kernel.

thanks and regards

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Have you added all your urpmi repos from the easy-urpmi link at the top of this page? Can you post the results from this:

urpmq --list-media

so we can see if you have them all.

hi, i am on a 64kb line. so. i've removed the all other repos other than the install dvd.

whenever i need new applications i download them somewhere else and install them at my home. my internet is barely manages to browse a few webpages and emailing.

here all i meant is to download the kernel somewhere else (my net will take ever to download something around 50MB), and then install that on my system how can i download it? give me the url.

tell me how to do install new kernel offline way.

thanks and regards.

Doing an advanced search of the following site:

http://rpm.pbone.net

and looking for kernel-2.6.24 for Mandriva 2008 only shows unofficial results at present.

Another site you can check is http://www.rpmfind.net to search for them, however, I don't see any here either. Perhaps you'll have have to wait a while.

Alternatively, add the urpmi sources using easyurpmi and make sure you tick the compressed index option - that way the lists are very small and will be easily downloadable on a 64K link. Then, you can simply do this which is much easier:

urpmf --name kernel | grep 2.6.24

and that will filter the results for what you're looking for. I suggest you add the backports repos too, as these tend to have the latest and greatest which is where the latest kernels are likely to appear.

However, I don't see a need to upgrade to a newer kernel unless you have hardware that is currently unsupported by your existing kernel or you have problems with some hardware not working correctly. If it's working, then leave it as it is.

Not necessarily. I always used to update kernels, and now I have a bug report open, because every kernel since 2.6.12.x means my system doesn't shut down properly. If acpi is enabled, it just restarts instead of powering off. If I disable acpi, I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds after the machine has finished it's shutdown process. The only way I can get it to shut down properly, is to remove the Adaptec SCSI card I have installed. It seems there is a problem between acpi and the Adaptec card.

The only fix so far, is to recompile a kernel without CONFIG_SUSPEND and CONFIG_HIBERNATE, which isn't the ideal of solutions - since it used to work.

So no, not always does it offer a better computing experience. That's just one example of why sometimes, it's just best to stick with what you've got unless it's going to offer you benefits moving to the new kernel.

Not necessarily. I always used to update kernels, and now I have a bug report open, because every kernel since 2.6.12.x means my system doesn't shut down properly.

Where's that bug? Nag at it! 2.6.12 something like 2 years old!

If it's at Mandriva, ditch it and repost it at the kernel bugzilla. Repeatedly bug them until it's fixed.

It's at kernel bugzilla. I only noticed when I'd gone from Mandriva 2006, which worked, to Mandriva 2007 which used a 2.6.17 kernel or something like that. Ever since then it was a problem.

But, I have the bug open and working through it :).

Just hoping to get resolution without having to disable those two options in the kernel.

I wanted to upgrade the kernel because of just one issue. During boot and shutdown i see the following error:

ACPI Exception (processor_core-0781): AE_NOT_FOUND, Processor Device is not present [20070126]

Many say it is not a fatal error. That's why I plan to stick with the 2.6.22.9 kernel.

But I would like to inform that I could never find a fix for that error. This bug has been logged. But nobody has found any fix till the time I am posting this message.

You can still upgrade, even without an rpm. All you would do is download the linux-2.6.24.x tar or tar.bz2 from kernel.org. Then you extract it into the /usr/src/ directory, which should create a /usr/src/linux-2.6.24.x directory if done correctly. Then you can just do:

make oldconfig
make && make modules_install && make install

the make oldconfig will ask a lot of questions, which you can just keep pressing enter/return to accept the default. Later, you will then have the new kernel installed in your /boot directory, and your grub config should have been amended and you can then reboot and use it and see what happens.

Compiling it of course will take quite a bit of time, say about 30 minutes, maybe longer. This is because it will use the config settings for the kernel from your old mandriva kernel - which will be fine, since it means a load of hardware modules are installed and enabled should you install something else later. Or, you can do it by enabling only for your hardware, but takes a lot more effort to get it right.