gentoo mirrors during install?? (emerge / portage)

no sign of mandrake left on my system...all gentoo now...bwahahaha!

MottS: got any tips on improving fonts?

So you installed Gentoo ! .. wow. Btw, XFree 4.3 is in the stable portage tree since about a week and a half so you guys (peep and tyme) installed it a the right moment :wink:

No idea for fonts tho... I'm satisfied with those that came with it so I didn't play with it at all.

MottS

So you are at the kernel.  Notice that gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r2 does not include a frame buffer support.  In other word, you'll get plain text when you'll boot the machine.  If you want images support, emerge /usr/portage/media-gfx/bootsplash/bootsplash-0.6.ebuild and patch the kernel with the patch at /usr/share/bootsplash before compiling it.  Read the ebuild for more details (/usr/portage/media-gfx/bootsplash/bootsplash-0.6.ebuild)

ok, i am going to start over the install with the vanilla kernel because of a problem with my tulip-based nic and apic or acpi. commands in the kernel line of grub.conf didn't seem to help, and other people on the gentoo boards seemed to be having the same problem except when they used the vanilla sources.

i got the bootsplash (above) to work but didn't seem to have the framebuffer running (is that possible?). can someone point me to instructions on what to do with an ebuild? i just read it in nano and tried to do what it was saying, but it looked like a script i was supposed to run somehow. i just patched the kernel and moved the initrd, but apparently there was something else i was supposed to do. :oops: anyway... i'll eventually figure this out as long as i don't wear out my computer recompiling every 15 minutes. 8)

Peep: you need to patch the kernel and recompile it w/frame buffer support.

Now you have to change your kernel configuration, using make config, make menuconfig or make xconfig. Go to "Console drivers" -> "Frame-Buffer support" and select "VESA VGA graphics console" (or possibly another framebuffer driver, if one is available for your graphics hardware) and turn on "Use splash screen instead of boot logo". Also be sure to enable "Initial Ramdisk support" in "Block Devices" Save your new config and compile a new kernel. Copy the kernel to your /boot directory and make sure that you have a boot entry for it in your bootloader config.

well, i got the framebuffer working, but never did get the NIC working. so i didn't have a very functional system. ah well, i may give gentoo another chance once i'm a bit more linux literate, or when i get another lan card.

what lan card do you have?

It's a D-Link 8DFE540TX. Mandrake sees it as a Macronix MX987x5 (i guess that's the chipset?). I saw people posting about similar problems (the liveCD sets up the network just fine, but then it won't work when you reboot). some people got it to work by disabling APIC and APCI but it didn't seem to work for me.

Maybe the NIC was working and your networking scripts were confused. How do you connect? When I was using Gentoo, I was using a router, and the networking script frequently screwed up, and I'd have to do a dhcpcd eth0 manually after I logged in.

Edit: corrected typo: s/eht0/eth0