How do I import existing KMail settings to KDE4?

darkscot

I have succumbed to temptation and installed KDE4 to have a play with it. When I ran Kmail it did its 'first run wizard' thing. I was expecting it to use my existing settings as I have logged in under the same user name as with old KDE?

Can I transfer the settings across? I don't want to set up my email accounts and message rules again.

Will the settings 'sync', I don't want to have two different versions of Kmail running.

• 3 months later...
I have succumbed to temptation and installed KDE4 to have a play with it. When I ran Kmail it did its 'first run wizard' thing. I was expecting it to use my existing settings as I have logged in under the same user name as with old KDE?

Can I transfer the settings across? I don't want to set up my email accounts and message rules again.

Will the settings 'sync', I don't want to have two different versions of Kmail running.

did you ever find a solution for this?

I was able to xfer my contacts nbut havent xferred my mail yet.

j

Open Konqueror and click on View and click on Show Hidden Folders

This enables you to see .kde then into Share then Apps where you will see kmail. Copy it out in full and save it to a safe partition or a plug in Flash USB drive.

When you complete your desired OS install then copy/paste kmail from your saved data place and have it overwrite the kmail in your new OS.

You will still need to setup the send and receive parts of Kmail setup but all your sent and received emails and other settings will now be there.

Another trick is to also copy and save the .mozilla folder as well and do the same to the new OS as well. It will also have all your Firefox settings, Add-ons, Themes etc as well.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn