MDE (Mandriva Enhanced)

Yankee

They are RPMS released by MDE. We have a forum here where you can read more about it.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showforum=49

they are third-party RPM's not packaged by Mandriva and they give the latest versions of software not available in the usual Mandriva repos.

"Not packaged by Mandriva", as in the packages that you download where compiled/created by Thac & Ze, not by Mandriva. Mandriva does have it's own RPM's of a lot of these packages, but they are of older versions most of the time, or don't have some extra's that the MDE ones do. I think that's what ian was saying...

Not packaged by Mandriva? I bet there are a lot of things there which is packaged by Mandriva e.g. KDE. There can be newer versions though and AFAIK they don't follow Mandriva packaging policy thoroughly. But you better ask Ze about it.

We do not follow mandriva packaging?!

Well we follow mandriva packaging policy even more that many official mandriva packagers, i have already refered this to one of the main mdv developers...

Now explaining better whats MDE, our main policy is to have bleeding edge software, and we try to optimize, fix bugs, fix packaging errors,also create packages that dont exist in Mandriva and are needed or at least libraries that are optional and that can improve applications.

For example regarding kde, until kde-4.0.0 we build kde differently so that we can have binaries that are faster ad can take the most of a machine, we also add MDE own beautification, like wallpapers, kdm theme, colors, kicker sets, added missing mimetypes and not inventing since now mandriva users are complaining about ark and .bz2 files badly behaviour when using kde mdv, fix xinerama, kcmsamba, also konqueror was very much improved regarding using flash, also the konqueror search bar gives the user suggestions, the main toolbar is much better arranged, but this are small examples since there are many fixes/patches regarding all kde aspects.

Now in kde-4.0.0 still didnt had the time to study it so that i can improve it regarding optimization, but MDE kde-4.0.0 its correctly packaged, since main packages dont call devel packages like wrongly happens with the mandriva kde4 packages, also dont create wrong icons cache files like if it was running kde3, mdv its using desktop-file-utils binaries to load icons cache for kde4 and the existant macros only apply to the icons that exist in the main system directory i.e. /usr and since kde4 is installed in /opt/kde it creates wrong cache files.

When entering MDE repository you can see that there isnt just kde but a wide variaty of packages for both architectures, a very recent openoffice, virtualbox, amsn, kvirc, cups, dbus, hal, xine, mplayer, ndiswrapper, amarok, k3b, recent drivers for wifi, graphics and webcams, etc.

Hope i could clarify whats mde :)

Edited by mmodem

I see...They release it and you guys try to fix what they (or someone) should have fixed. There is another thread where we are talking about rpmdrake and its bugs. I thought the whole linux deal was to write a program, debug it, write another, debug it, etc. and when you're done you have a whole system.

It does seem someone needs to go back and fix some of these "debugged" programs. I see all kinds of little things that can get under your skin pretty fast but I can live with minor bugs and stuff. I'm running 2007.1 and it is the best I have seen for any distro. I've used a few others and seen other peoples machines and I am just hooked on Mandriva.

It's not quite like that. For example, Mandriva 2007 came with KDE 3.5.1 for example, and mde provided later packages that wouldn't be provided by Mandriva. They don't bug fix Mandriva's packages - Mandriva do that.

I thought the whole linux deal was to write a program, debug it, write another, debug it, etc. and when you're done you have a whole system.
Well, sort of. Debugging is an ongoing process with every program - you won't necessarily find all the bugs before releasing to the public, as you can't really predict every possible scenario before the program gets released. It's just not possible...bugs always crop up after release, which is why there are point releases (1.1, 1.2, etc.) to fix bugs (and add stuff sometimes) after the initial release.

It's not quite like that. For example, Mandriva 2007 came with KDE 3.5.1 for example, and mde provided later packages that wouldn't be provided by Mandriva. They don't bug fix Mandriva's packages - Mandriva do that.

I dont get why your always against whats done in MDE.

As you might know i use Mandriva and in my opinion Mandriva its the best distro out there, and in MDE we try even put it better.

Edited by mmodem

I'm not against Mandriva, or mde so what makes you say that?!? I have used your rpms from time to time - if I was against you, I wouldn't use them! :unsure:

And I was replying to the other poster who was aiming that you were fixing Mandriva's bugs, and not releasing your own packages. In fact, my statement is effectively promoting you, so I think you misread my post.

Oh, I forgot something. I thought that I should add that I offered my services to help MDE with packaging their rpms a while back when they asked for assistance. So, for someone that is supposedly against MDE, would be a bit odd for them to offer their services to help :huh:

Ze even replied to my private message about it - I guess something he forgot about.

We do not follow mandriva packaging?!

Well we follow mandriva packaging policy even more that many official mandriva packagers, i have already refered this to one of the main mdv developers...

Hope i could clarify whats mde :)

Yes thank you that clarified a lot.

I'd like to ask you one question though. Now that Mandriva has backports repos is there a plan or at least some hope to use that and work more closely with Mandriva instead of using your own separate repo?

In reply to Ian's posts, seams that in fact i missunderstood what you refered, my apologies :)

I didnt know that was you who wanted to help but you didnt said anything more about it, if i remember correctly i told you to start with opening cooker rpms and that i would help from there, since isnt easy to learn all about packaging and from that point you didnt said gaved any answer.

Now in answer to dexter11 post, i already commited some of the packages that iexist in mde to mandriva, and i was in the process to start packaging officially to mandriva, but the person in question stopped the process and lately i also asked Adam about it but he said he was to busy so i stopped asking and continued with MDE. To refer that whats done in MDE is more updated that cooker, cant be compared to whats done in mandriva backports.

I did ask for help on how to build RPM's, in particular spec files, etc, etc - since without knowing this it would have been difficult for me to help out. I had guessed though that you probably wanted someone a little more experienced in packaging than a noob :)