Too many video drivers

Amorphous_Snake

I installed Mandriva 2008 One (Gnome edition). The installation went fine and everything worked. When I tried to update the packages, I noticed that a lot of the packages were useless, for example, I have a nvidia Geforce 6600 card, why were the ATI drivers (fglx) installed along with their kernels? The same goes for the extra language packages (I chose US English) but I found that almost half a dozen other languages were installed, along with their files for Firefox and OO.org.

So I tried to clean up things a bit, I deleted every unnecessary file and kept the "current" driver for nvidia as this is the one I used to install when I used 2007.1 before. Now I can't log on the GUI. What shall I do?

I would log in to the console. su to root, type mc, and then edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to use the vesa driver. Then I would log in to the gui, and open a console, su to root, and type XFdrake. This will reinitialize the nvidia driver installation in X. If it does not, then reinstall nvidia.