Noob with questions. :)

Guest Ralph Redjou

Guest Ralph Redjou

I selected 800x600 in the inital setup and would like to change it to 1024x768. I have managed to find one place that I can configure the resolution but it will not remember the settings.

Any suggestions?

Also, I managed to get 3 mini-commanders on my task bar and cannot right mouse button on them. Nothing happens when I RMB at all.

Suggestions on how to remove these things?

Thanks.

Seeing you did not mention what you tried or what you are using for desktop, I will suggest the way that works for me using KDE.

Kstart > Configuration > Mandrake Control Center (will need to enter root password in pop up)

Click on "Hardware" then select "Change your screen resolution".

Choose the 1024x768 option and click "OK"

System will want you to restart kwin and ask you to logout. Once restarted you should have a 1024x768 screen.

There's plenty of other options if this don't work, or not what you were looking for.

Guest fubar::chi
Seeing you did not mention what you tried or what you are using for desktop, I will suggest the way that works for me using KDE.

Kstart > Configuration > Mandrake Control Center (will need to enter root password in pop up)

Click on "Hardware" then select "Change your screen resolution".

Choose the 1024x768 option and click "OK"

System will want you to restart kwin and ask you to logout. Once restarted you should have a 1024x768 screen.

There's plenty of other options if this don't work, or not what you were looking for.

I think kstart=kmenu :wink:

Guest Ralph Redjou

Well, I was using Gnome and I went through every menu that I could find that looked like it could remotly have anything to do with my problems.

Then I completly reinstalled Mandrake. That took less than an hour vs the 4 hours I had just spent trying to fix the problem. :p

I picked the highest resolution avaliable and can switch them around no problem now so it appears that the interface is not smart enough to adapt to anything new once it's initally installed.

I am trying KDE Xwindows this time. It's still not user friendly at all but I base that more upon linux being the underlying OS rather than interface problems.

Thank god this unix class is half over and it's the only one required for my degree. So far I have not seen anything that Windows could not do 10 times easier with several times the number of programs that unix has to do each job. As a CNE (dead OS) and MCSE I just don't see the fragmented unix world ever making a dent in the sales of Windows.

Guest fubar::chi

at the end of your class you just may be praising linux for the same reasons your criticizing it now :D btw just curious why use linux for a unix class. they aren't the same thing. if you're just looking for similarity i'd think freebsd is closer to unix than linux is

Since you've decided to try Mandrake out please give it a honest effort.

How long have you been using MS? Vs how long have you been using linux?

How many drivers have you had to load into your MS systems right after loading the OS. I had to load a driver for everything in the box.

In Mandrake I have to load one to IMPROVE my vidio and one for my sound chipset. Never one for anything else from scanners and printers to cd-rw's and ethernet cards. Less than an hour and I have a total desktop................

Bzzzzz. oh well there goes the trolling boat I guess.