Reinstall lilo

Richard1098

I need to reinstall lilo.

I have Mandriva on my second hard drive (/dev/sdb), with SUSE on the primary drive (/dev/sda). After using mandrake control center to change from lilo to GRUB my system no longer boots. I have tried using the reinstall boot-loader facility in system rescue, but this fails to result in a bootable system. Is it possible to reinstall lilo using a system upgrade, without altering the system otherwise. Alternatively, is it possible to reinstall lilo directly from the system installer.

Edited by Richard1098

A change like this should not render the system bootless! Yes, an upgrade install can be used to reinstall a boot loader, but I am interested in why it happened. Which was your primary install from which GRUB operated, SuSE or Mandriva?

I do not chain load boot loaders. (It is only done with windows because windows will not operate with anything other than itself.) I recommend making an entry in SuSE's boot loader from which to select Mandriva. I have as many as 6 different systems on my desktop machine and all are booted from one GRUB boot loader. When installing simply do not install any boot loader and then edit the primary.