Shadow Icons [solved]

Lester

I am using Mandriva 2006 on a 390x Thinkpad. The desktop icons and icons in the folders all have 'shadows' - copies of themselves that appear to the left - usually about an inch or closer. Nothing happens when clicking on the shadow icon.

The icons on the menu bar are on top of one another.

I have tried screen resolution and size - but that created problems where the graphics card did not work! And changing the size of the icon did nothing either.

Any idea?

Charles Lester Daniels

Mandriva 2006 is old not supported anymore. Besides it was the worst Mandriva\Mandrake release I have ever met. It made me switch to PCLinuxOS. If memory serves well it had an experimental X server which caused a hell of a lot of problems. This X server can be the cause of your problem.

I suggest to upgrade\install a newer release.

But if you can't or don't want to, then could you make a screenshot? You can use the program called Ksnapshot under KDE.

well our friend here is using a older computer though, so it might not be feasible to upgrade.

May I ask what your specs are Lester?

Do you mean - there are 256 MB RAM; the processor is a Pentium II; I think the speed is 300 MHZ.

This is the computer my daughter is using; I'll get the screen shot and post it - might not be till tomorrow afternoon.

I am using Mandriva 2006 on a Thinkpad X22. {640 MB RAM and 800 MHz processor] It seems to work best with the wireless cards in these computers [suSe and Ubuntu and Knoppix being the ones that do not work to well]

I thought about upgrading my X22 to a more recent version of Mandriva. It took me a while to get my DVD player configured to work - would I have to do that over again?

Mandriva 2006 is old not supported anymore. Besides it was the worst Mandriva\Mandrake release I have ever met. It made me switch to PCLinuxOS. If memory serves well it had an experimental X server which caused a hell of a lot of problems. This X server can be the cause of your problem.

I suggest to upgrade\install a newer release.

But if you can't or don't want to, then could you make a screenshot? You can use the program called Ksnapshot under KDE.

Here is the screen shot. There is another oddity. In the upper right hand there is text on the screen. The icon for that picture file does not show untill the mouse is pointing at it.

Well, I do not see how to attach something to a posting here. When I figure out how, I will.

you just have to have more than 5 posts to be able to add attachments. this is just to deter spammers/hackers from registering and posting erroneous files...apologies for the inconvenience :)

That makes sense. I expect I will reach that limit soon. This issue has become moot point as my daughter [it is her computer in question] decided to install Red Hat Linux 9 [it came with a copy of Red Hat Linux 9 for Dummies that I found in a used book store for $3].

That seems to be working - the fonts are slighly large and not sharp - but there is no folder problem.

I'll be asking questions about setting up a printer - wireless and more about how to update or upgrade.

Thanks