Modem configuration

Guest gegalla

Guest gegalla

I just upgraded to Mandrake 9.1 and am having trouble configurling my modem. Prior to the upgrade I was using mandrake 9.0 and the modem was working fine. The 9.1 installation went fine but I might have made a mistake in the installation. When I was asked what com port my modem was on I said com 1 when according to winxp the modem is on com 3. Now if I go to the control panel and try to configure the modem and use com 1 I get a response that says modem doesn't respond. If I use com 3 wilth the configuration wizard I get a response that says cannot find modem. My sense ia that if I con change the modem com port to 3 when installing 9.1 the problem might be fixed. Whaat do people think? Can I change the com port by going through the installation again or is there another way?

Guest gegalla

I thought I had put enough information about my situation but I now see I need to put more. The modem is internal and was working fine under mandrake 9.0. I have access to kppp,was using it previously but have not specifically configured thru kppp and will try that. I have been using the wizard in the mandrake control panel to configure the modem. How do I acces linuxconf? Is there s help file for its use?

Guest JaseP

I would just point kppp to the serial port you believe the modem is on. Don't forget that the first serial port is usually 0 instead of 1, and so on...

You can also delete the existing /dev/modem entry and replace it with a symbolic link to your serial port that the modem is on.

Also, is this a true hardware modem, or a "softmodem"??? If not a harware modem, you need to install the driver module for it, and possibly recompile that module for the latest version of the kernel...

Yes, try kppp first. :?: I thought if you use drakconnect and choose to manually config, that it pulled up kppp? Did for me it 9.0 and 9.1.

Linuxconf is in the Configuration>Other menu/if it's installed (usually is by default). You can also open a terminal>su to root>and type linuxconf and hit Enter. When you're done, and it works, you can use net_monitor (as root is the downside to this route) to connect.

If anybody understands not spending money you don't NEED to spend, it's me, but you might consider an external serial modem. I finaly broke done and got a serial modem and it's the easiest thing in the world to configure. I'd never touch drakconnect. Just open kppp create a new connection pointing tty0. I didn't even bother with changing the dev/modem entry because kppp will remember wher eyou put it. I know your modem should work (you used it before) but it's just so mind bogilingly easy to configure a serial modem.

Guest JaseP

VeeDubb,

I totally agree here. External Modems are the way to go. They are less fuss, less muss, and they are more portable in terms of using them with a different box. If you can find a cheap generic (many are available under $50 US) then I would say to go for it. It's well worth it.

The only downside of using kppp is that some people don't like using kde at all. But you can even use kppp in Gnome or the other window managers as long as kde is installed.

Guest gegalla

Thanks for all the replys. I might get a external modem but I want to give my present situation a few more tries. I tried linuxconfig but it didn't seem to change the problem. If I use com1 I get a modem does not respond message. If I use com3 (which is where windows sees the modem) I get a cannot find modem message. There is a dev/modem in the root file so it seems like I have an installed modem driver but I'm not 100% sure. How would I check it? . The upgrade seems to have carried over the filles from 9.0. Is there a new kernel in 9.1 and do I have to recompile?

It sounds to me like the problem is that you are using a winmodem that has linux support and for whatever reason, the drivers weren't installed with it. So it wouldn't find it. Comm1 (tty0) is the first external serial port on virtualy every ssytem in the world, so that's not it. If win says com3, it's com3. Maybe com 2 or 4, but not 1.

as root do

[root@localhost bvc]# file /dev/modem

/dev/modem: symbolic link to tts/0

If window sees it on com3, the symlink needs to point to tts/2 (/dev/ttS2). Mine is an external on com1 (windows) so.../dev/ttS0 is what my symlink points to.

to find out what kernel you're using

[root@localhost bvc]# uname -r

2.4.21-0.13

the default ML9.1 is 2.4.21-0.13mdk. Mine is compiled without the mdk. You don't have to recompile. I've never done an Upgrade so I don't know if the kernel is installed but I'd think it would be. (why not a clean install and not partiton /home? The Upgrade feature isn't exactly stable.)

What modem?

What driver?

I have tried Mandrake's upgrade feature and this has always caused problems for me, with the latest (9.0 to 9.1) the worst.

An upgrade will install the newer kernel, but things such as video and modem drivers need to be reinstalled/ reconfigured.

I would think you need to uninstall any driver present and then install the latest available for your modem.

Another option, I believe, the upgrade leaves the older kernel behind, which may still work - connection wise (depending on what else has changed).