aaargh!

gmac

Guest johnKFT

It sounds like you do have a permissions problem with one of the relevant files - see bvc's post - or even kppp itself. It is not wise to connect to the internet as root - if anyone gets in they then have access to everything on your computer. I think the squeal may be normal and your line amol0 switches it off. Well done and good luck. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will now be able to tell you exacltly how to put things right so you can connect as a user.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem there could be a permission prob. When you connected as root, could you then open a browser and go to web sites as a user?

Otherwise.....

Your hosts file could have anything in it. The localhost for your hostname is correct but if your hosts file has

or

or nothing else in it you'll go nowhere online. The /ect/hosts file needs to have

or

127.0.0.0 in it. If you will not find out what's in this file, then there's no need to go any further and we can not help you. If your hosts file is ok and you don't have a firewall installed then we can start looking at permissions.

cat /etc/hosts

I think I recall you saying you did an Upgrade (sorry if not the case). It's fine that you're a point-click kinda person but if this is the case I really recommend a clean install, as the Upgrade feature is extremely buggy and the commandline will be required to fix probs. I wish they'd dump the stupid useless feature until the bugs are worked out. The amount of time you spend fixing things after an Upgrade, is

greater and more frustrating than if you'd just do a clean install and not format /home. You can backup anything you want from the other dirs into /home.

"It does seem there could be a permission prob. When you connected as root, could you then open a browser and go to web sites as a user?" I could get to this site but not any others. I will check the hosts as you suggest.

I think I recall you saying you did an Upgrade (sorry if not the case). It's fine that you're a point-click kinda person but if this is the case I really recommend a clean install,

It was a clean install but not by me. I came across someone more familiar with linux than me when he was fixing my computer. I took the opportunuty and got him to dual boot it for me. I'm not averse to trying to install but I only have one computer that I need for work.

I suspect it is something daft i have done rather than anything else wrong with the installation. I won't have time until the weekend to try again. This is some learning curve I'm on.

OK....forget aaaargh, how about AAAAARRRGGHH!!!!! I've been gmac'ed :!: I've spent the last 2 hours trying, not to connect...,but to pull up this or any site or access email! I was using d4x and closed it, then Mozilla because a page I was wanting to view didn't work in opera, closed mozilla, open opera and NOTHING...for 2 hours *sigh* I'm reminded why I didn't even install mozilla in 9.0, but I wanted to give galeon (it sucks, but then so does moz) a shot in gnome2. Actually I don't know how or why moz would be the cause, but the only other explanation is that I'd been cracked, because......oh great, now NOTilus won't start....I was kinda starting to like it...sorta :P ..anyway my /etc/hosts, /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts had been changed :shock: . No I couldn't have inadvertently done it....heck I haven't messed with that stuff for a month at least. I guess it's time to batten down the hatches and, among other things, do a lttle monitoring. :twisted:

After a couple of reboots, changing hostnames, and reconfiguring the network, the only thing that worked was to remove all previous configurations from kppp, and ppp0's from linuxconf and use the trust ol' wvdial. AAARGH!

[EDIT]nautilus works now....just needed a reboot so xinetd could get the hostname rt for fam. :roll:

Thats makes me feel so much better. If a multi talented mega being like a moderator can have difficulty then maybe there's hope for ordinary mortals like me. At this point I don't know what my/etc/hosts mean but I hope it wasn't too painful.

You say cracked do you reckon someone broke in to your system?

Hey bvc!! Never knew you were a "mega being"
where've ya been :P :?: ...kidding :oops:

You say cracked do you reckon someone broke in to your system?
I don't know any other way those files could have changed?????

Oh, I forgot.....

when i typr hostname i get localhost.localdomain. what else should i look for
hmmm...I get
[bvc@localhost bvc]$ hostname

localhost

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ hostname -i

[bvc@localhost bvc]$

Check again......

[on a side] I still can't check my mail, and when I try with Balsa it says "unable to locate remote host www.bla bla....can't remember and didn't have time to write it down b4 comming to work. Now opera's M2 can't open my INBOX....looks like I'll be calling the ISP. :twisted:

This now seems to be resolved. I am currently using Mozilla for the first time ever. I don't know what was wrong because I did not do anything different that I am aware of but thanks everybody for your help and patience with a newbie.

"[bvc@localhost bvc]$ hostname

localhost

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ hostname -i

[bvc@localhost bvc]$"

I think I see what you mean I should see gmac@localhost gmac?

I wasn't particularly wanting to use the console but I suppose its one of the attractions of linux as opposed to windows where, if anything goes wrong you hope uninstalling and reinstalling will sort the problem.

I was contemplating getting the md9 definitive guide as I get fed up trying to find what I want off the computer based manuals.

What do you think is it actually much use to a newbie or is it better to keep plodding away trial and error? books are a way of gaining access to somebody elses experience and cutting down the llearning time. The more I play around with this the better it looks.

I think I see what you mean I should see gmac@localhost gmac?
well, yes but my point was that you shouldn't see "localhost.localdomain" when you run

hostname -i

in a terminal. You should see what I have posted above.

Personally, I consider the console a +feature that unlocks the potential of what is already a superior OS 8) linux that is......

I can see the initial fear users have but there's not to much you can do that can't be undone and if you do then reinstall....how else can you learn but by mistakes and trial and error......reading? I don't think so....very few are that gifted. I didn't touch my first computer until 2.5 years ago so I'm a newbie, and all I've ever used is google advanced search, and the forums. A book wouldn't do me much good.....my comprehension skills are horrible :wink: But....to each his own :)

[update]good news and bad news.....good news is ML9.1 didn't freak on me :)

bad news is whats beleived to be a past employee of my ISP went on the rampage last night. My connection prob would have happened regardless, but the question still remains....how did my files get changed and why is balsa trying to acces a www.xxxxx url? I poke around and find out tonight.

My isp find this interesting and wants to know what I find.

Actually being really thick its just dawned on me I can just print off the pages since the manual is on the cd roms. This wasn't a viable option before but now I can actually get it working. All I have to do now is try and get the printer working. Its a lexmark x75 scanner copier printer so I am in for some fun. Its not working at the moment, i got lexmark as their ptinters are advertised as being compatable with Linux. I checked with them beforehand about the scanner and they say it is not compatable with linuxm but hopefully I can get the printer working at least.

"well, yes but my point was that you shouldn't see "localhost.localdomain" when you run "

Thats what I get but I think I'll count my blessings and quit when I'm ahead.

Sorry to hear about your computer. I had one that seemed to be totally wrecked by a virus, although that was the one I got mandrake working on initially after umpteen practice set ups. Windows just wouldn't reinstall at all.

I got a virus two weeks ago that resulted in a complete reinstall, the good news is it led on to the dual booted machine I now use.

Actually one of the main appeals of mandrake is that if i get everything working I'll end up with a better understanding of whats going on. Windows seems to call for blind faith but I prefer to make up my own mind.