aaargh!

gmac

it is kppp I am using. I did go in through themandrale control centre.

I got an error message

pppd daemon died unexpectedly

exit status 5

kppp could not prepare ppplog its very likely that pppd was started without the debug option

I added the bdebug option

"logon script debug window"

AT2

ok

amolo

ok

atdt 01506501000

Does that mean anything?

I will also try different ports. I donm't think I have the wrong one but then again.

thanks for the help

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnKFT

Sadly the error message, as is all too often the case, is quite meaningless to an ordinary human being. I think that if you have Kppp configured with the right phone number, the right username and the right password it should work. I think that if your modem was set to the wrong port it would claim that 'The modem is busy'. The fact that it dials the number (which is what atdt means) implies that the port setting is OK (I think). My experience of 'pppd daemons dying unexpectedly' after dialling is that it is likely caused by incorrect authentication - ie wrong username or password. Double check the phone number , the username and password, making sure the two last are in the same case as the ones you gave to the ISP. Upper and lower case letters are viewed as different.

If you still get trouble try using gnome-ppp, which is the gnome version. When you configure that put your password where it says - Remote Name, not where it says - Hidden password (that is something entirely different!) I reckon it took me six months to find that out and get gnome-ppp working.

If that does not work either keep coming back to us.

PS I just looked through gnome-ppp and remembered that all IP addresses must be set to Dynamic, if that is relevant.

PPS I think ATZ is the initialization of the modem, and am0lo mutes the dialling tone sound.

I had the right port. Tried them all just to be sure. The log on ID and oassword are correct. I reconfugured just to be sure. the modem clicks I get the message as above.

"Sadly the error message, as is all too often the case, is quite meaningless to an ordinary human being. "

If I'm using mandrake how can I be ordinary? I'm having trouble using KDE never mind Gnome. IP addresses dynamic? HMM

Double checked everything still no joy. How do you change the IP protocol? The lan configuration bit is not active on mine. It was at one point I don't know why it is not now. I have now tried the wizard several times. I actually got it working on a previous computer so I am not entirely unused to this but hardly an expert. That was a duff computer and I know of no problems with the present computer itself. I am switching between windows and linux on the same computer at the moment.

I had decided that I would concentrate on learning KDE and would rather get it working than switch to Gnome. Apart from that I hate admitting defeat. Any other suggestion?

It turns out I have a neighbour that uses red hat so I lent him my mandrake installation pack as a gesture of good will. Incidentally he didn't know how to find my mouse.

This is ridiculous, I like to think I am reasonably bright but I can't get this. I'm buggered if I'm going to give in.

My typing is deteriorating as well.

Guest johnKFT

You don't have to be running Gnome to use gnome-ppp. Just find it in the WWW part of the start menu or type gnome-ppp in a terminal. If it doesn't appear then install it using Mandrake Control Centre. That may at least eliminate the possibility that something is wrong with your Kppp setup. You might even get a different error message. I would also go into Mandrake Control Centre>Network & Internet and reconfigure again with the Wizard then click connect and see what happens. Then come out of the wizard and connect in the Internet access window and see what happens. Surely we will get something useful out of that lot?

You haven't got a firewall set up have you?

You have paid your phone bill have you?

Guest johnKFT

I think you can check the IP setup in Kppp; you can in Gnome-ppp>Accounts>Edit>IP Address -- make everything dynamic.

Could your Lan problem be a clue? I see on your first post that you had an 'Unknown Local Host' error? You haven't changed your computer's hostname have you? Any clues there anyone? I am getting out of my depth.

O.K....back to the original question

What's is your hostname and what is in your /etc/hosts file?  

to get the hostname, type  

hostname

Either use konqueror to view /etc/host, or open a terminal (konsole, rxvt, xterm) and do the following.

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1               localhost

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost bvc]# cat /etc/ppp/options

lock

noauth

noipdefault

usepeerdns

mru 1500

[root@localhost bvc]# cat /etc/ppp/chap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP

# client        server  secret                  IP addresses

[root@localhost bvc]# cat /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using PAP

# client        server  secret                  IP addresses

[root@localhost bvc]# ls /etc/ppp/peers

wvdial  wvdial-pipe

Do not post the results of chap and pap secrets!!!! I just want you to see if they are right or if there's anything at all. Also if your modem is internal (can't recall) post the modem portion of the result to the command

cat /proc/pci

Also try to poke around in /proc and find anything that could have relation to your modem. For example...here's mine (external)

[root@localhost bvc]# ls /proc/tty/driver

serial

[root@localhost bvc]# cat /proc/tty/driver/serial

serinfo:1.0 driver:5.05c revision:2001-07-08

0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:115200 tx:161471 rx:573348 oe:5 RTS|CTS|DTR|DSR|CD

:oops: also might want to intall setserial just to get info. If you don't know what you are doing, you can really screw stuff up with setserial. You also have to be root. I'd install with

urpmi setserial

and get info with

setserial -g -abG /dev/ttySx

(where x is 0 through 3. Do this until setserial finds something)

http://www.linuxprinting.org/man/setserial.8.html

Thanks guys I'll poke around again. The host name is local host at least that what comes up at set up. bear in mind I'm used to windows so a lot of what you are saying is totally new to me.

I am not networking so ythis seemed the most appropriate forum.

when i typr hostname i get localhost.localdomain. what else should i look for. the interface is pppo is that correct?

I'm kind of loath to poke around too much in the comsole as it is completely unfamiliar, at least for the moment.

thanks for your patience.

Hey guess who is now connected to the internet with mandrake? I logged in as root and did exactly the same things as before. I did get an error message kppp deleted @/root/kde/share/app/kppp/kppp

another instance of kppp seems to be running

ppp daemon died unexpectedly

exit status 16

see man pppdf for explanation or kppp faq on http/dvel-home.kde.org

I closed kppp and tried again this time it worked.

I haven'y the foggiest idea what I'm doing.Hopefully thats it sorted.

One odd thing I am used to the modem squealing as it connects, this it didn't do. Is that a characteristec of windows? the squealing I mean. Does windows hurt the computer?

I don't want to anthropomorphise the computer but i do suspect mine of having a warped sense of humour so maybe it feels pain.

I will try agian logged in as myself just to see if I have sorted it. Actually if it works I think I'll leave it working and not try and work out what was wrong. My next problem is getting the printer/scanner working.

Guest johnKFT

Speaking as a beginner who has done so and regretted it I think you are wise not to poke around as root until you have learned a bit more. I am sure the others will agree with me. At least at the moment you have one simple and clearly visible problem that must have a cause - almost certainly one simple cause that just is not clearly visible - and all we have to do is find that cause.

When you fiddle as root and suddenly the whole system goes completely haywire and you have not the faintest idea where to start even explaining the problem, it all gets rather more difficult. I know, I have the T-shirt!

If we try and look at things as simply as possible, perhaps something will stand out as being not right. It seems to me that if the following are right:

hostname - localhost.localdomain is right

interface - ppp0 is right

port - clearly is right

ISP phone no - presumably is right

Login username - presumably is right

Password - presumably is right

then I am not sure what is left, unless some of the files noted by bvc have the wrong permissions or something, so you are forbidden to access them. It does sound like it might be an authentication problem of some sort. The modem clearly works and dials the number but is then thrown off - by the ISP saying 'bugger off I don't know you'? Have you tried opening a terminal and typing kppp directly into that? It just might throw up error messages that the kppp log does not. Anyone else?

PS I have just tried gnome-ppp with an invalid username and after the ATDT [phone number] it says CONNECT before throwing me off. So perhaps yours is not authentication after all, if you do not get CONNECT.

I do not seem to be much help here so I think I'll stand back and hope someone more knowledgeable will come along. Sorry.

PPS I use wvdial and after the ATDT <phone number> it says:

---> waiting for carrier

Any clues there anyone? Perhaps you have no carrier wave? Problem between modem and phone socket? No, I still get that message if I unplug the cable.

When I tried to go to another web site there I got the unknown host error. I did as usual and wrote www. then the address. but no new web site. I begin to suspect the problem may simply be my unfamiliarity with mandrake rather than any intrinsic problem.