aaargh!

gmac

Last night I could connect to the internet but couldn't access any web sites, I got an error message saying unknown local host.

Now I can't even do that despite doing exactly the same things. I have successfuly connected before on a different computer but I can't work out what I'm doing wrong now.

Does the domain name matter? What do the authentication letters mean and does it matter. Yes I have rtfm and it didn't help much. Part of the problem I have as a newbie is knowing which questions I need the answers to. Never mind using the applications I am having trouble getting past the first steps $£%^&.

Any help appreciated and if you are going to say RTFM don't bother.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The message appears after i put in a web site address such as the one that would get me access to this forum.

I am a real newbie to this I don't understand your question re /etc/hosts/file.

The problem is now worse as I can't even get the modem to connect. The computer obviously is picking it up.

I've pored over the manual and trawled the forum without finding anything like this. I can't work out what I am doing wrong. All the applications etc look quite good bit I am having incredibe problems with the basics.

All the manual says is complete the sections in the wizard as appropriate.

gmac

You need to give more info, what version of mandrake?

What modem? Did it work before and now it doesn't?

What have you tried? etc.

By the way (BTW) you will seldom see people here on this site telling you to RTFM, even the English are friendly :wink:

Sorry, I didn't meam to offend anyone I have had a lot of help on this forum and in fact it is the only reasion I have persevered with mandrake. Windows works it would at this point be the easy of more expensive and less satisfying option. I did actually get that response on an earlier post, the perpetrator then subsequently gave me some good advice.

Mandrake powerpack edition 9. An ordinary 56000 modem with a dial up connection. Telewest cable (not broadband).

Previously when using the connection wizard apart from the phone no login id i had the authentication as PAP (I don't know what that means) I put the domain name as blue yonder. This did connect but when I entered a web site address I got the Unknown local host error.

I had successfully connected on a different computer with the above. Now when I try it the modem clicks as the computer communicates but doisn't connect. I've tried the manual pages and forum but can't work out whats wrong. I suspect its probably quite simple but but I'm stumped. I must be doing something different but what?

I must confess to cheating. My computer got a virus and ended up being reformated. Since I did not have the original windows installation disks I took it to a local computer shop. It turns out that not only had he heard of Linux he used it. To cut a long story short I now have a computer dual booted with windows and mandrake. I had been tryiong to pluck up the courage to diual boot myself but cannot afford to be without a working computer.

Never mind using Mandrake I am having problems with the basics. Who said it was fun at the bottom of the learning curve? The applications look great I just want to get to the point where I use them to their full potential.

I don't mind the English in fact I married one. If you can imagine Norah Batty with a black belt in judo you can imagine the living hell my life is.

Any spelling mistakes in the above are the jeyboards fault and nothing to do with the two bottle wsif beer I have just drunk. (Austrian berr, Scottish beer sucks thats why we invented whisky)

I don't mind the English in fact I married one. If you can imagine Norah Batty with a black belt in judo you can imagine the living hell my life is.

Any spelling mistakes in the above are the jeyboards fault and nothing to do with the two bottle wsif beer I have just drunk. (Austrian berr, Scottish beer sucks thats why we invented whisky)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good to see you have a sense of humour.

Can't help you much, i don't have a dial up connection so no experience of using it. I don't know what manual you read, but i did find this link: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/doc/90c/en...connection.html

Magic thanks. That looks a lot more useful than the manual. I was refering to the one that came with the box set and with the cd's themselves. At my level of expertise they are not much help as I am still trying to work out what I need to know.

On a slightly dofferent tack I see a lot of web sites seem to be only compatable with internet explorer. How big a problem is this likely to be?

On a slightly dofferent tack I see a lot of web sites seem to be only compatable with internet explorer. How big a problem is this likely to be?

Lots of people here swear by their browser of personal choice, Galeon, Konqueror, Opera etc. I think the best is Mozilla, which can view any site. There is also a windoze version of it. If you want to view sites that use "FLASH" or "JAVA" then you have to install the pluggins for it. The search link above will give plenty of tips on how to.

Don't be afraid of dual booting, many people do it. While Linux can see and access windoze files, windoze does not recognise the Linux file system, it won't even know Linux is on the same drive,

And while some Linux programs are buggy, the system itself is not. You can run Linux 24/7 for weeks without needing to reboot.

Isn't aaargh a pirate thing?? :mystismiles:

No it isn't. But i can see where your coming from, it may seem like pirates are saying "aaargh" but its just their accent, their actually saying" avast" as in, "avast there me shipmates, who wants to be keelhauled"

Whoops!! off topic :evil:

Guest johnKFT

Gmac,

What are you using to connect with - kppp? gnomeppp or what? It sounds vaguely to me as if you might have that configured wrongly, which should be easy to put right. Tell us the name of the program that connects you and that you have configured, and precisely what you put in it. I don't understand your reference to the domain name - normally you should only need to enter your ISP's phone number, your login username and your password.

PAP just means the type of authentication that is used to identify you to the ISP - can't remember what it means but it involves the use of a password.

I had the most horrendous problems getting connected with a laptop when I first started Linux so I know how you feel! This board helped me then, so I'm sure one of us will be able to do the same for you - perhaps even me, though I am an Englishman settled in your land!

The Internet Explorer business is easily solved by the simple expedient of lying through your teeth and telling the website that you are using Internet Explorer. I use Phoenix - soon to be part of Mozilla - and I can just click on a menu and tell the website that I am using more or less any other browser in existence. It then dutifully allows me to view it.

I was using konqueror. The first time I got it to connect it wouldn'y until I put in a domain name. I was basically trying all the combinations I could think of. I have configured it wrongly but I can't see how. Then again I would not pretend to understand what I am doing. I'm a bottom feeder on the learning curve at the moment. Each stage seems to take forever.

I put in the isp phone number user id and password. The modem tries to connect but doesn't. I was going to try konqueror to begin with and then Mozilla. A lot of the sites I need to use seem only to recognose internet explorer at least that is what they say.

I've downloaded the info off the website suggested above but haven't had time to look at it properly yet. Today I had a powercut for 2 1/2 hours and then the phone lines went down. I'm finishing all the stuff I was intending to do earlier on today so I'm buggered if I'm going to play with linux just now. I'll have a look tomorrow and try again.

asaaargh is an ancient celtic cry that means "Oh dear me I have spent ages on this and I just can't get it to work but I'm going to stop now before I throw the computer (or thing) out the window and come back to it when I have calmed down."

I would just like to add that I can spel, very well, my typing, however, is crap.

You seem to have the common speech defect in that you are not rolling your rrrs enough. Then again I'm not sure I can say ixthusdan. is it icks or ixx.

I had a look at that downloaded stuff this morning. It says the same fill all required fields which I have done. The only one I was dubious about was domain name which I don't think is necessary to fill in. Am I right.

Guest johnKFT

Do I take it you configured the connection with the wizard in Mandrake Control Centre? I use a different system but have just tested that and I discovered two things:

1 I left Domain name blank and it seems OK

2 It tries to connect me through the interface usb0 instead of ppp0, but after a couple of attempts seems to figure it out and finally connects me through ppp0.

Are you sure you have the correct port set that your modem is connected to?

Try the Wizard, leaving Domain name blank, then do not accept the offer to connect. You will be returned to Mandrake Control Centre - click to connect in there. You will get a window with graphs and information. What does it tell you? What does it say in the little tab above the graph window?