Mandrake 9.0 won't boot after install.

VeeDubb

If all else fails and you trust me, I can burn a copy of the linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2 and even my .config file and initrd-2.4.20.img and bzImage and System.map-2.4.20 and snailmail it to you if you email me your addy. But I guess you have some kinda internet access to be posting here....DUH.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VeeDubb:

Have you tried the suggestion of booting with:

linux quiet=off

Even if the kernel can't write the logs, it will display error messages and other useful info to the monitor, and then we may have some idea of what can be corrected in the .config file...

Andreas

ACtualy I did try that, but it had no effect what so ever.

At this point I think I will try to build a good kernel and .config, it will just be a few days before I have time. I have an exam tommorrow, and lot's of projects going. It's just realy dissapointing that this has all been so difficult. I've tried several distros that all worked on my system and the one distro that I was REALY interested in (intersted enough to buy a boxed set) won't work without a lot of effort. Oh well.

VeeDubb: linux quiet=off has no affect on my system either. Before you get discouraged, try my method using the .config file example I gave you. I'm virtually positive our problems are the same. In case you need detailed instructions I'm going to show you what to type (assuming you have saved my .config file in /home/veedubb and you saved your linux-2.4.20.tar.gz in /home/veedubb). I'm going to include the # and $ prompts to show what has to be done as a regular user ($) and what is to be done as root (#)...remember that anything inside [ ] are just comments or instructions. I'm also assuming that you download linux-2.4.20 because that's what my config file was built for and I'm not sure it will work with another kernel:

$ cd /usr/src

$ su

[type in root password]

# cp /home/veedubb/linux-2.4.20.tar.gz /usr/src

# tar -zxvf linux-2.4.20.tar.gz

# cd linux-2.4.20

# make mrproper

# cp /home/veedubb/.config /usr/src/linux-2.4.20

# make xconfig [you can check to make sure every option is to your liking and then hit 'save and exit']

# make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

[this takes awhile]

# cd arch/i386/boot

# mkinitrd initrd-2.4.20.img 2.4.20

# cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20

# cp initrd-2.4.20.img /boot

# cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20

# cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.20

Now edit /etc/lilo.conf in your favorite text editor and add this section:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20

label=linux-2.4.20

root=/dev/hda6 [this line should match whatever your other 'root=' lines are for linux booting]

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20.img

append=""

read-write

and run

/sbin/lilo -v

as root and reboot and choose linux-2.4.20

ACtualy I did try that, but it had no effect what so ever.

Sorry, I thought that option would turn off quiet mode.

Anyway, it is possible to remove the "quiet" option from

/etc/lilo.conf

(one of the "append=" options)

After modifying lilo.conf, lilo must be run to reinstall the bootloader (with options pointing to the correct device, lilo.conf and boot locations, although running the "reinstall bootloader" of the rescue disk will automate this).

The point is that if we never know what the error is, Mandrake will not be able to fix the problem, and no bug-fixes for PowerPack will ever be developed to address the problem... I don't think lots of people who bought PowerPack would be keen to (or able to) recompile the kernel just because a possible but yet unidentified bad choice in the .config file prevents them from booting the system, while at least 2 other Linux distributions work OK in the same system...

P.S.: Good luck with your exam!!!

Andreas

Well, I've sent Mandrake an email explaining to them that it is definitely something in the .config file that causes the error, but never got a response. I've narrowed it down to MoBo more than likely. I've tried to compare .config files but there is so much different that I choose that MDK doesn't and vice versa. I believe I even sent them a copy of my working .config file. I've/we;ve tried all different methods in the 'append' line and tried failsafe, but all to no avail.

For me, sometimes it hangs at Remounting root partition in read-write mode and sometimes hangs right after 'Hit 'I' for interactive startup', but *always* hangs. Nothing is happening...no harddrive spin....nothing and Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. You have to power off and even then, you have to hold the power button in for a few seconds, just as if you were having to force power-down while in an OS.

One of the biggest differences between Mandrake's custom Linux kernel and and other Distributions' kernel is the "supermount" feature. I don't know if they specifically turn on "experimental/dangerous" flags in the kernel config, like fixes to specific/known chipset bugs. Anyway, I think there should be a good explanation to this. Linux is open source, and it should be possible to track down which line of code is causing the freeze. My goodness, this guy has *paid for* powerpack, and this shouldn't be so complicated... I think that he could register his box in MandrakeExpert and make effective use of the support he is entitled to...

Andreas

that's what realy sucks. i HAVE registered at mandrake expert, but I am unable to post a help request. I've even sent an email to the mandrake expert customer service, but I get no response. This is basicaly the same problem I had with my order. They just don't answer emails.

Knoppix runs on a read-only filesystem (including /usr/lib and /usr/bin), so installing new software to knoppix without first installing it to a read-write filesystem (HD install) is very difficult (although not impossible, I've compiled and installed the lucent winmodem driver, with some difficulties...) It is possible that Knoppix supports rpm, but it will only work properly in a hd install.

One more question. I'm compiling a new kernel and I'm using 'make oldconfig' with Steve's .config because xconfig gives me nightmares and his is almost perfect. How do I change the APM option to account for passing 'linux apm=off' at at boot?

Thanks a million guys!