XFree my nemesis

Sorry to hear it went badly. I'm assuming you did do this in init 3. I did essentially the exact same thing, except used the --force option (same as --replace files --replace packages).

I put all the new XFree86 packages coresponding to what I had originally installed from 9.1 into one directory (no extras), went to init 3, cd'd to that directory as root, and ran

rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm

Then it went ahead and installed, and I restarted x, and that was it. I can't imagine what happen to yours. You say you ran out of room on /, so maybe next time it would be good to clean out some temp stuff, get rid of whatever you don't need, and reboot your system right before trying to flush out your ram and swap. But, I get the idea from what you say that you must have plenty of ram, so I can't undersand why you had a problem. On the boxes I have done this stuff, I only have 256MB, and never have had a similar problem.

In any case, this sort of thing points out the wisdom of having a separate /home partition. On this box (one of 3, all dual boot with winXP), I have as linux partitions:

root- 5GB

swap-1GB(need large one for serious compiling)

home-2GB(next time I'll increase this)

boot-125MB (I play around with lots of kernels)

tmp-1GB

This works good for me- I had been adding separate /usr and /var previously, but found it simpiler to just go with a larger root. I'm always upgrading, reinstalling, or playing with new distros on one box, so the /home really makes life easy.

If you could go into a little detail on what exactly happened, and caused you to have to reinstall, maybe it can be prevented in the future. You can almost always fix any display and video failures without a reinstall. Are you by chance running nvidia drivers?

wrc1944

Guest fubar::chi
Sorry to hear it went badly. I'm assuming you did do this in init 3. I did essentially the exact same thing, except used the --force option (same as --replace files --replace packages).

wrc1944

I don't think --force is the same as --replace files --replace packages, for one thing it messes up the rpm db and the other option doesn't do this. If you're an apt user --force and --nodeps will wreak havok with your system. I've never had problems while using the --replace files --replace packages options, --force on the other hand ...

fubar::chi,

Hmmmm. I was under the impression it was the same. The man rpm page says

"--force

Same as using --replacepkgs, --replacefiles, and --oldpackage."

In my experience, it works the same. I guess you may be correct about the database and apt, but I'm not sure, as I've never used apt. I guess it needs more investigation, or can someone who knows please enlighten us (or at least me)?

BTW, this might sound lame, but what's the procedure for getting those nice little quote boxes of the previous poster everybody uses? like "wrc wrote:", and then a little quoted excerpt in a smaller and lighter field. I can't seem to figure it out.

wrc1944

[

Running out of room on the / partition is bad!

I'm not woried, as i am restarting from scratch.

I can't wait to get home and start, i rebuilt textinfo, binutils, gcc, gettext, & glibc last night and will install and rebuild them again. then i will do he kernel, XFree, SDL & maybe KDE, mozilla, & what ever i feel like.

look at this link i just found:

http://www.obulous.org/index.pl/mandrake_9...n_optimizations

oh and my partitions:

/ 423mb

/swap 400mb

/usr 5gb

/var 3gb

/tmp 13gb

/home 55gb

Guest fubar::chi
BTW, this might sound lame, but what's the procedure for getting those nice little quote boxes of the previous poster everybody uses? like "wrc wrote:", and then a little quoted excerpt in a smaller and lighter field. I can't seem to figure it out.

wrc1944[

The quote button by the post :D

fubar::chi,

Can't believe I missed the quote button! My eyes must be going bad on me.

johnnyv,

Thanks for the link! Please keep us posted on how your rebuilds go. I had toyed with idea of building the entire Mandrake 9.1 for athlon, but I don't have all the source files, and only dial-up 56k. Next time I'll buy the Power pack and get the source rpm cds (I did that with 8.2, and that's what really got me started with linux in a serious way).

wrc1944)

so far i have done the the boot strapping as in the guide

the kernel (i am using kernel-enterprise at the moment)

sdl

xfree

mozilla

and i have done

celestia

tuxkart

flightgear

egoboo

is going fine, will have to get the kde src rpms and try that out.