External harddrive [solved]

kilimanjaro

2/ In a terminal window, login as root (su - root), then execute:

cp -a /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup; gedit /etc/fstab &

BE CAREFUL because this will edit an important system file: be sure not to change the existing lines.

In this file, remove the line beginning with "/dev/sda1" if there is one, then add the following line at the end of the file:

UUID=D841-58F1 /media/hd ntfs-3g umask=0000,user,nls=utf8,noatime,allow_other,noauto 0 0

In case anyone is still interested, I've discovered that fuse wants the mount point to be writable, so I guess a good solution is to choose a group, for example "disk" (number 6), and ensure /media/hd is group-writable for group "disk", and add "gid=6" in the above fstab options.

You must be part of the group you choose of course.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aloha Everyone

Sorry it took so long to get back to this problem. I had my computer crash and then I was driving from N. Idaho to S. California.

So, I reinstalled my system and then I installed the ntfs-3g packages and now it works fine, I don't know what the difference is. I didn't do anything different from last time. So, I don't what got fixed or how it got fixed, but is works now.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this problem. It always amazes me how much time and energy Linux users are willing give to help other users. When I first found Linux back in 2003, it amazed me. It gave me hope for western civilization.

kili

• 1 month later...
Guest qwerty

B) B) :mellow: :mellow:

Hy every body,

I just want to share my little experience about mandriva 2008 Power Pack and the usb sticks that do not mount.

I tried much of the above steps with no success, then as my last step I deleted the two rows in etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1 /media/hd ext3 sync,relatime 0 0

/dev/sda5 /media/hd2 vfat umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,exec 0 0

I log out and in, and now my two usb memory sticks, one fat32 and one ext3, mount and unmount automatically.

Before I had the "access denied" message.

I hope that this indication can help somebody else.

Bye :)