Question about fonts

johnz

I'd leave the fonts. It's not worth deleting them, however, sometimes you can click that details button and ensure that the fonts are using 100dpi and not anything higher than this. Anything higher can sometimes make things look really weird. I had that problem a few times.

When I first installed Mandrake 10.0 back in 2004 or so, one of the first things I did was trash my system by removing some fonts. :mr-green:

Yeah, me too! :wall:

I was trying to improve my fonts and uninstalled 3 font libraries, libfreetype6, libcairo2, & libXft. I thought I had installed their replacements with an RPM I created, but it turns out that the fonts were installed to the wrong directory. When I rebooted I could only get the console screen. I had to reinstall the fonts I had just removed by using my Free DVD (I had no internet connection available in Mandriva at the time). The DVD was not currently set up as a repository, so I had to figure that out too. :rolleyes:

unless you're very careful and know what you're doing, deleting fonts can turn out bad. there are a few fonts that are required just for the X server to start (usually "fixed") and if they get deleted...it's not fun trying to get it fixed.