Please Help, Newb

Guest creative

Guest creative

Hey, Whats up everone. Toltal newB here. I have a college class starting up at the end of this month for Linux Admin, Ha ... wish me luck on that.

Anyhow, ive been reading threads for days trying to get Compiz and the 3d desktop affects to work.

Ofcourse im getting the error. My computer does not accept 3d desktop affects.

I have a Nvidia Geforce FX5500.

So i know that my video card is capeable of supporting 3d, compiz, so on and so forth.

I downloaded dkms-nvidia-8776-0.1.20060plf.i586.rpm But have no idea how to run, install, or upgrade.

I am a way Newbie when it comes to configuring anything in Linux.

Hopefully everyone has a little patients and time to help out.

Thanks So Much

Cas

Hey matey, the first step is to tell us what system you're running. I.e. Mandriva 2008.0, 2007, 2006, they can all be quite different. I've got some experience with 2007.1 and 2008.0, however there's alot more knowledgeable people out there. Firstly, to install an rpm package, if you are in Mandriva 2007 or 2008, right click on it and click on 'software installer'. This will prompt you for a root password, which you then have to give. No idea if that package will work for you or not.. good luck.

Guest creative

Hey, thanks for the reply. Im running a fresh install of Mandriva 2008.

Before i posted my thread, I did right click and selected Package Installer. It thought for a minute, and then nothing, I restarted X, Nothing. Restarted the Comp. Nothing.

Does anyone know what drivers will run 3d for a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 ??? Please Help.

Thanks.

Cas

First of all you have to understand the different concept Linux uses for installing software. You have a software installer\uninstaller utility (aka rpmdrake). Just click on the menu button and you'll find it.

Then you setup the application to use the software sources. This means that the application will download the necessary packages not you. Here's how to do it: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...tions_available

The Software Media Manager can be launched from rpmdrake in the Settings (or Configuration not using English version here) menu in the menu bar.

When you finished with this you use rpmdrake to install or uninstall software. You can install the nvidia drivers if you know which driver belongs to your card. But if you don't you batter leave it to the Mandriva Control Center. Sorry I can't remember exactly where but it must be on the Hardware tab. It should be the "setup the graphic server" or something like this. But if it's not then keep searching.