suspend-to-ram

ffi

i have an acer aspire 9100 with an ati mobility radeon x600, both with fglrx and ati drivers after suspending to ram the screen stays black, i can hear the computer waking up though

edit:keyboard input doesn't seem to work either

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if the following thread I created will be any help to you or not, but I do have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 in my T42. I finally got suspend to RAM to work after some effort. I found the following general article most helpful: How to suspend and hibernate a laptop under Linux

Here is my howto thread for a T42 ThinkPad: Enabling Hardware hotkeys on a ThinkPad T42 [i know you have an Acer, which is different.]

• 1 month later...
thanks i might have some to look at it now

I had a similar problem with Thinkpad T61. I fixed it by adding

<match key="system.hardware.version" string="ThinkPad T61">
	<merge key="power_management.quirk.s3_bios" type="bool">true</merge>
  </match>

to the file /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-lenovo.fdi. There is a similar file for acer in that directory. You might want to look at it. Also, I added acpi_slip=s3_bios to the kernel boot options (via Mandriva Control Centre). See this reference.

Edited by coverup

My wife's Acer does it in Windows! I think it's an Acer thing. Sometimes it wakes up, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, you can see it's fully powered up, you can hear the fan cooling the processor, etc, but the screen doesn't wake up - even with banging the keyboard! Although, initially pressing a key did something, but nothing more to get the screen active.

Even if the screen is shut, you can here the fan going every now and then cooling the machine down. Obviously something not working right on Acer laptops. If I remember correctly, she has a TravelMate 2350 or something like that.