Tip: Improve the quality of surfing <LAN-Internet>

aru

In case you have set up a LAN in your home, with GNU/Linux as router and window$/Linux clients, and you get sick watching your bandwidth shrinking and shrinking to null when your brother is using Kazaa upstairs, here is your solution:

HOWTO: Quality of Surfing: An Intermediate Level HowTo from the Linux Journal.

With a mandrake kernel you won't need to do anything special besides adjusting the values of the script to your own connection numbers.

I'm just testing it with good results.

Wow. Thanks aru! I had this very question and the only answers ever given to me were "I think I remember using QoS to do this' (thanks, qnr - :P ). Bummer that I have to recompile my kernel, though, because I don't have anything about QoS compiled in.

Because of my MoBo, I cannot use MDKs 2.4.* kernel with their .config file, so I compiled my own. I have yet to figure out what options in the .config file cause the stock 2.4.* kernel to not boot with my MoBo, so I always compile from scratch.

Edit: And I'm still using 8.1 because I'm on dialup and waiting for 9.1 to be released in stores (I never do a *.0 release....too buggy)

• 2 months later...