Virtualbox USB support [solved]

dude67

Quite simply put, I'm trying to enable USB support for my WinXP Home guest installation in Virtualbox (host Mandi 2008.0).

I've tried this solution mentioned in VB manual:

11.4.6 USB not working

If USB is not working on your Linux host, make sure that the current user has permission

to access the USB filesystem (usbfs), which VirtualBox relies on to retrieve valid

information about your host’s USB devices.

As usbfs is a virtual filesystem, a chmod on /proc/bus/usb has no effect. The

permissions for usbfs can therefore only be changed by editing the /etc/fstab file.

For example, most Linux distributions have a user group called usb or similar, of

which the current user must be a member. To give all users of that group access to

usbfs, make sure the following line is present:

# 85 is the USB group

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=85,devmode=664 0 0

Replace 85 with the group ID that matches your system (search /etc/group for “usbâ€

or similar). Alternatively, if you don’t mind the security hole, give all users access to

USB by changing “664†to “666â€.

So according to that, I've added this into /etc/fstab

# 43 is the USB group
# devmode=664 default; =666 for all
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=43,devmode=666 0 0

But no help.

Does anyone know if USB even works with WinXP guest on Virtualbox on Mandriva host?

Edited by dude67

OK, I've done a little more research and it seems that I need the PUEL version not the OSE... I have installed the OSE from Mandriva sources and it appears the USB is not supported. :wall:

I've already installed WinXP on my VB (OSE) and installed some software there also. Will that snapshot or installation be valid and functional if I install the PUEL version? :huh:

Edited by dude67

You need the non-OS version of vbox from their web-site. Then enable USB in the vm's settings and select the device filters to be used. I have tested it and it does work, although I have no need for it and so do not currently have it enabled.

Jim

Edit:

I've already installed WinXP on my VB (OSE) and installed some software there also. Will that snapshot or installation be valid and funktional if I install the PUEL version?

Yes, you can just change the settings of the existing vm.

Edited by jkerr82508

Thank you for the tips. A question: What do you Jim, mean by non-OS version?

You need the non-OS version of vbox from their web-site. Then enable USB in the vm's settings and select the device filters to be used. I have tested it and it does work, although I have no need for it and so do not currently have it enabled.

Jim

I can see a bunch of different OSs in this page, but no "non-OS" version. Unless you mean the "All distributions" version?

I tried running the the Mandriva .rpm version, but this is what I get (obviously because of the current installation):

Installation failed:
		 file /usr/bin/VBoxManage from install of VirtualBox-1.5.4_27034_mdv2008.0-1.i586 conflicts with file from package virtualbox-1.5.4-3mdv2008.0.i586
		 file /usr/bin/VBoxSDL from install of VirtualBox-1.5.4_27034_mdv2008.0-1.i586 conflicts with file from package virtualbox-1.5.4-3mdv2008.0.i586
		 file /usr/bin/VirtualBox from install of VirtualBox-1.5.4_27034_mdv2008.0-1.i586 conflicts with file from package virtualbox-1.5.4-3mdv2008.0.i586
		 file /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxDD2GC.gc from install of VirtualBox-1.5.4_27034_mdv2008.0-1.i586 conflicts with file from package virtualbox-1.5.4-3mdv2008.0.i586
		 file /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxDD2R0.r0 from install of VirtualBox-1.5.4_27034_mdv2008.0-1.i586 conflicts with file from package virtualbox-1.5.4-3mdv2008.0.i586
  ...snip.

I'm currently trying to run the generic "all distros" version. I'll post back.

Thank you for the tips. A question: What do you Jim, mean by non-OS version?

The Mandriva rpm listed on this page:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

non-OS = not Open Source as opposed to vbox OSE (Open Source Edition) which is in the Mandriva repos

You must uninstall all vbox rpms already installed on your system before installing this version. (In rpmdrake, search for vbox and virtualbox.)

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

Yup, that did the trick: :thumbs:

[root@localhost Download]# sh VirtualBox_1.5.4_Linux_x86.run
   Verifying archive integrity... All good.
   Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation........
   VirtualBox Version 1.5.4 (Sat Dec 29 08:50:14 CET 2007) installation

If you are upgrading from a previous version of VirtualBox and if some of your
   virtual machines have saved states, then the saved state information will be
   lost after the upgrade and will have to be discarded.  If you do not want this
   then you can cancel the upgrade now.

Do you wish to continue? [yes or no]
   y
   Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox-1.5.4

VirtualBox has been installed successfully.

You will find useful information about using VirtualBox in the user manual
	 /opt/VirtualBox-1.5.4/UserManual.pdf
   and in the user FAQ
	 http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

We hope that you enjoy using VirtualBox.

[root@localhost Download]#

Then I've enabled USB and added the items I need.

Now I'm trying to see if I can get all the items to operate. I did this operation mainly, because I have this coordless Topcom phone I'm using with Skype. I've never been able to get it to work under Linux, so I'm trying to get it to work under WinXP in VirtualBox.

It's just taking "ages" to install the new items... I'll let you know.

The Mandriva rpm listed on this page:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

non-OS = not Open Source as opposed to vbox OSE (Open Source Edition) which is in the Mandriva repos

OK. Sorry, I didn't get that... (I thought OS = Operating System) :D

You must uninstall all vbox rpms already installed on your system before installing this version. (In rpmdrake, search for vbox and virtualbox.)

Jim

Well, that is actually not the case. As I said, I did not uninstall anything, just ran the "all-distros" .run version of the installer and it did upgrade the product! It was very fast and simple procedure (as you can see above).

OK, duly noted. But I didn't want to uninstall the current one, as I was afraid I'd lose the installation and that god-awful activation stuff... (It is a leagal copy of WinXP, but I've installed and activated this particular copy already a few times).

I didn't want to uninstall the current one, as I was afraid I'd lose the installation and that god-awful activation stuff.

Uninstalling vbox should leave your vm's intact, but if you want to play it safe, move the /Machines and /VDI directories to a different directory (or even partition) until you've completed the uninstallation. By default they should be in ~/.VirtualBox.

My vm's have survived clean installs of 2007.1 and 2008.0 as well as the uninstallation of vbox OSE. (I keep them in a dedicated partition.)

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508