Slow FTP Upload

Mitchell

Hi folks, while I've a fast connection (10mbps), and can download from various ftp sites quickly, I can't upload anything to my webserver faster than 60 kbps. What gives? Had the server's service department do some checks, and they said everything is fine at their end. What would cause such a slow speed? I'm using Mandriva 2008.0, and have tried both konqueror, and the commandline ftp interface. Still the same. Have disabled my firewall with no effect. Furstrating, as my server (siteground) has given me 750 Gb of space, and I can't access more than a few meg at a time.. thanks.

~Mitchell

It may sound stupid, but ADSL means Assymetrical Digital Subscriber Line.

Which is the upload capacity of your ADSL connection? I suspect its just a regular 512 kbps, which means you can upload with 64K/sec at the very best.

Unless you REALLY mean "60 kbps" which is indeed darn slow... "k" in lowercase means kilobits, while "K" in uppercase is kilobytes ( = eight times less ).

You can ascertain your internet connection speed by using http://www.speedtest.net. But as scarecrows says, the problems are more likely with your internet connection having a much slower upload speed than download speed - common of ADSL connections. I highly doubt you have an SDSL or synchronous than asynchronous internet connection.

If ADSL, then this is normal and nothing you can do short of upgrading to a far more expensive connection that gives you a higher upload speed.

Thanks folks. Just checked that speedtest site, I like it and have used it many times before. My download speed is 9811 kb/s, and upload is 680 kb/s.

So you're right, given that speed, the max I could upload is at 85 K/s. Just did some more checks on my upload and download from my webserver, and found some interesting things. Firslty, I'm regularly hitting 80-94Kb/s as a top speed, but every 10 seconds or so the connection either stalls and drops back to 2KB/s, or stops. What would cause this, and is it normal? This is all checked from my personal desktop, while when I use my business user account it seems to be much slower, usually 6-7KB/s and stalling every few seconds. Also, am just realizing I'm testing this Sunday Morning in Australia, which would be Saturday afternoon in the US, where siteground is based. Usually when I try to use ftp from my other user on this computer it's during the week here, and in the States also. According to them this isn't an issue, but could network congestion at their end contribute to this?

Thanks again.

When you are stressing your download, or upload capacity, you should always leave some 10% of the bandwidth reserved- else you take the risk strangling your connection.

For 680k upload stream you should put an upload speed limit to your FTP client (I strongly recommend FileZilla 3) at 76K.

• 1 year later...
Guest Remarc

Well i have the similar problem with a little difference, i am using a vary fast cable net 100mbit/up down but when sy is downloading from me he/she only has a speed of maximum 250kbyte/sec they all have better connection then that. There is no speed limit on my server so i just don't know why pls help

i am using a vary fast cable net 100mbit/up down but when sy is downloading from me he/she only has a speed of maximum 250kbyte/sec they all have better connection then that.

1 - a bit is not the same as a byte (maybe you were aware of this)

2 - there are more factors when it comes to download speed than how fast the server end users connections are. it also depends on all the hops (connections/routers/etc) in between the two, the current traffic at those hops, the number of hops, and whether the wind is blowing to the west or to the east during the last equinox.

3 - 250kbyte/sec is a pretty good speed, IMHO. I've gotten worse speeds from close (hop-wise) servers with a "phat pipe"

Edited by tyme