I want to recompile the multimedia kernel

Does anyone know where to get the source for the mandrake multimedia kernel? It was on contrib (I think) when I actually installed the kernel, but doesn't seem to be now. Also when I am recompiling the kernel, what kinds of things MUST not be modules - examples would be helpful. I want to try to make the leanest kernel that I can.

Also, previous attempts to recompile the mandrake kernel have resutled in supermount not working - which surprised me as I was using a mandrake source package. How can I get round this?

ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions...-1-1mdk.src.rpm

If you want the leanest multimedia kernel, recompile a vanilla kernel with preempt and low latency patches, though you won't have supermount on it.

Seriously, I see no problem in recompiling the kernel-multimedia sources with its default configuration, because almost every superfluous feature will be compiled as a module and thus it won't increase the kernel size.

I can't give further help because what you need to compile depends on your hardware and on what you are going to do with your system.

If you want the leanest multimedia kernel, recompile a vanilla kernel with preempt and low latency patches, though you won't have supermount on it.

I figured I might have a go at this and have downloaded the kernel source and two patches (low latency and pre-empt.

I have, however, two questions that I cannot find the answer to on the internet:

1) How do I actually apply the patches? :) As I say I have downloaded two, but they came with no documentation and I can't find any help on the net

2) If I've lost supermount (which I'm not too sad about) how do I go about switching it off to avoid the "not supported" error messages?

I figured I might have a go at this and have downloaded the kernel source and two patches (low latency and pre-empt.

I have, however,  two questions that I cannot find the answer to on the internet:

1)  How do I actually apply the patches?  :) As I say I have downloaded two, but they came with no documentation and I can't find any help on the net

Take a look to this FAQ: KC-03: How do I apply a patch to the kernel? :mrgreen:

Be sure that both patches are for the kernel version you want to compile

2) If I've lost supermount (which I'm not too sad about) how do I go about switching it off to avoid the "not supported" error messages?

run as root:

/usr/sbin/supermount -i disable

mount -a -o remount

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=1965 ;)