Mass Installation using mandriva one

c-clone

My boss had okayed me to do linux migration to one of our computer lab. The challange was to install mandriva to 60 PCs within hours. To make it worse, this lab had no network nor it had dvd drive. This core duo intel processor PC comes with just normal cd rom, floppy and usb slots.

The fastest route to install was to use mandriva one cd which took around 15 minutes to install. Seems easy, right. But then this lab needs more than just whats packed inside mandriva one cd. For start I had downloaded gcc, gcc-devel and binutils for urpmi ftp and install them manually on each pc. From then on, new package can be compile on these pc.

Details.

As I choose mandriva2008.0, I download gcc,gcc-devel and binutils with 2008.0 version in their names. The ftp site nearest to you can be found from easy urpmi page. I suggest you do the step 1 and 2 properly to get the right folder for downloading.

The i use firefox to go to that ftp site and downloaded the files i need. Pack them into my flash drive and install them in the computer lab using the command(as root):

rpm -ivh foo.*.2008.0.rpm

Almost without a sweat.