k3b weirdness

neddie

This is the second time this has happened, the first time I thought I must have done something wrong but the second time I'm sure it's k3b which is behaving weirdly. Anyone else seen this?

I select the files to burn, as usual, a normal data CD written to a CD-R. I start the burn, with all default options, the same as many times before, but the gui mentions something about track0 and the "overall progress bar" only goes at half the rate of the "current progress bar". It takes roughly a normal amount of time but then when the overall progress bar gets to 50%, the CD gets ejected and the gui remains with the clock still ticking. Odd. I close the CD drive again and it automounts, everything looks ok but I'm suspicious. The K3b gui is still open and the clock is still ticking, the only thing left to do is a "Cancel" button, which I have no choice but to press. K3b shows no error messages, just asks to confirm that I want to cancel, the debug window shows nothing odd and it looks like k3b thinks I've canceled the burn. So has it burned ok or not?

I check the CD and everything looks kosher, I can't find anything missing and all the files I've checked really seem like they're on the CD. But I had to close K3b and discard changes, makes me wonder if it's missed something. The disk wasn't full either, it was 650 mb I was saving and there's room left on the cd, I wasn't prompted for a second CD or anything so I'm really puzzled.

Is this a K3b bug? Can I be confident that the CD has been written correctly? Apart from doing an md5sum on each and every file on the CD and comparing with the md5sum of the files on my hard drive, of course... :unsure:

neddie

it happens to me when i copy a DVD.. Get to 50% and freezes but stills burn the DVD. but K3b is Frozen, at first i though it was something i did. The weird thing is i get no error messages. :wall: Maybe someone else has a idea why this is happening.

-SC

Edited by Shadowchaser

I guess you have checked "verify".

When the burning ends the whole procedure is still at 50% (verification phase pending) and the tray is "recycled" to reset the IDE bus status. All that is absolutely normal.

Whether the tray will close by a software command or not depends on a couple of things. But it doesn't harm to close the tray manually, just do not mount the CD yourself- let k3b continue.

If you don't want this happenning, uncheck verify. It does not have practical value on audioCD's, but it's handy for data CD's (where a read error is most of the times critical).

Edited by scarecrow

Interesting idea, but I definitely didn't consciously click that "verify" checkbox and when I start a new data CD project in K3b that checkbox isn't checked by default, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't on.

Plus k3b didn't wake up when I reclosed the CD drive, it didn't make any attempt to start any kind of verification even though the clock kept ticking.

I've burned many CDs with K3b, all in the same way and only the last two have done this funny hanging-at-50% thiing.

I'll have to take a closer look at the options next time I burn something.

• 2 months later...

hmm, this is what I am looking for, This just happend to me, I seem to recall it happening earlier, maybe 2007.1 or 2008, anyway, burning a Data DVD or CD with Verify Data checked, it will just eject the CD after the burning phase has complete, then nothing, if I close the tray manually, still nothing, it just doesn't start/complete the Data verifying. If however I burn an Image to disk, and have the Verify data checked, it will complete without problem.

MDV 2008.1

Anyone know a solution ?

Never had a problem with data CDs in K3B but had a similar problem making an audio CD. K3B kicked out a bad WAV file during the burn process, remade the WAV and all was OK.

Getting back to data, I always check verify to insure a good data CD. I use Mandriva 2008.

it will just eject the CD after the burning phase has complete, then nothing, if I close the tray manually, still nothing, it just doesn't start/complete the Data verifying.
I have exactly same problem with 2008.1.