Install Mandriva 64 after Vista with nVidia RAID

n9nu

I have had Vista 64 installed on my primary drives which are a pair of Western Digital Raptor 150's which are in RAID 0 via the on-board SATA 2 nVidia controller and just installed Linux x64 on to another physical hard drive, but get a GRUB error (21) which is preventing me from booting into Linux.

My drive configuration is below:

In Windows: drives.jpg

My question is, what drive do you suggest I install GRUB on to...the main drive (the nvidia mapped RAID 0) or the drive the Linux distro is installed on?

Tim

It is best to place it on whatever drive is first in the boot order of your system, otherwise it will be inaccessible without some "fun" trickery on the windows side (that, honestly, may not be possible in Vista - though you could do it in XP) or switching the boot order in your BIOS every time you want to use Linux.

Hi

Ok that sounds good to me. I was also even thinking of trying to get it to boot off of a 8GB USB Key/Pen/Thumb drive as well. I will look into that.

Thank You

Tim

Does it matter? Why post just to ridicule?

If I wanted to do that, I would ask what one could possibly store into a 37 GB / partition.

OK, lets say that the 32G /var/ftp partition has some purpose (serving a fat FTP server, that is), but allowing 4GB for swap means that the partition sizes were picked at random. There is no machine on planet earth that could make good use of a 4G swap- not even a corporate server.

IDE? LOL

I have not used an IDE drive in 4 years. As far as the 4GB swap space, I just pick a number....and yes I know that is a bit too high ;).

As far as the 37GB FTP partition...that is hardly enough space for what I need on this machine. I own and run a Pro Tools professional recording studio and I am going to use this machine for a client log in so they can access their uncompressed audio files. For an average Joe, 37GB is moe than anyone needs.....for PCM audio at 24 bit resolution sampled at 192KHz it gobbles it up like your gas in your car

Tim

Edited by n9nu

If I wanted to do that, I would ask what one could possibly store into a 37 GB / partition.

OK, lets say that the 32G /var/ftp partition has some purpose (serving a fat FTP server, that is), but allowing 4GB for swap means that the partition sizes were picked at random. There is no machine on planet earth that could make good use of a 4G swap- not even a corporate server.

He's new to Linux, so his partitioning will be a little odd at first until he understands it a bit more and later uses the space more efficiently. However, 4GB of swap could easily be used by a server. You have to think of applications that might actually use it.

For example, you won't know this unless you've used it - but if you have a server with 2GB of memory, and allocate 4GB of swap - 2 x memory if you remember and RHCE exams still go by this whether you think you need it or not. However, Netscreen Security Manager by Juniper WILL use the swap if it needs it because it is a highly resource intensive application - especially if you have a lack of physical memory and have a lot of devices being managed. Obviously that is a bad way to run your machine, because it should have adequate physical memory and not rely on swap. However, it will use it if it needs to.

I could list other highly intensive memory usage applications that would also use the ram. But I think this one example is enough.

ianw1974: You are right to some extent, but with 8GB of DDR2 (check n9nu's signature) he can do perfectly well with no swap at all.

Swap was common practice some years ago, when RAM sticks were small and expensive... hardly the case today. Physical memory is rather cheap, and hunderds of times faster than virtual memory.

I do not know what's happening with Vista64 (never used them), but if they follow the old rule of a thumb they would have created (by default) some 12 GB pagefile.sys, which is simply enough paranoid.

scarecrow: Totally understand you, just pointing out that it is possible to use it :)

I still find it odd that RHCE exams require you answer the question with 2 x ram, when effectively this rule-of-thumb generally isn't followed so much nowadays.