2008 Install fails...

Guest mgc1952

Guest mgc1952

I have a toshiba satellite p105-S6024. centrino duo 1.6Ghz, 1gb memory, intel 3945 with Vista installed. I can install 2007.1 just fine. When I try to install 2008 after the language and license screens and maybe the security screen a screen pops up with an error message. The error message tells me that the partition table on sda is too corrupt to read, would you like to wipe the problem partition?

I get this whether I have my dual boot vista/2007.1 machine or if I wipe the linux partitions, make the total machine a vista machine by re-expanding the ntfs partition and restoring the mbr and the boot sector?

Anybody know anything about this? I would due just a linux install on the machine but I still need some windows capability (games that did not work with cedega).

thank you,

Mark

[Moved from Installing Mandriva - arctic]

I would make sure the file that you burned was good. Did you md5sum the iso prior to burning? Another thing I do is always burn at a slow speed- cd at 16x and dvd at 4x. If you did not burn the disk and acquired the disk elsewhere, then the disk may be bad. The Mandriva installer has had trouble in the past with bad partitioning, perhaps around Mandrake 9 or 10, but I even managed to work with that. Another possible long shot is that the drive may be in early stages of failing. The manufacturer of the drive usually has a test program to talk to it. (Not Toshiba, but the actual drive manufacturer)

If you've not got anything on the disk that you want to keep - like Windows - then format the whole disk and when asked about wanting to wipe the partition from the Mandriva installer - just say yes and see if the install works as you want it.

If you want to keep Windows as well, then I suggest you don't do this, otherwise Windows is likely to disappear. But you're choice on if you want to do this or not based on whether you want Windows or not.

do you have partitioned the drive with a different partitioning program (e.g. Partition Magic) before ?

Sometimes different partitioning programs tend to get in their ways.