Can anyone play these videos? [solved]

sermat

Hi daniewicz: Thanks for helping.

Which browser are you using?

Firefox, ver 2.0.0.11. Flash is ver. 9,0,115,0. I think this is the latest version of flash available.

Have you installed the flash plugin?

Yes. Note that other sites requiring flash, like youtube, play just fine on my system.

Do you have a specific error message?

No. The screen with CBS logo pops up, but nothing plays.

Regards,

serge.

Edited by sermat

Hi neddie: I'm at home, i.e., no "corporate" firewall, and even the Mandriva's Firewall is disabled (i.e., "Allow everything").

Regards,

serge.

OK, I just tried to play the same site using Debian Etch and it behaves exactly the same as Mandriva, i.e., it doesn't play. So maybe the problem is with the site itself. Can anybody confirm this? I'm trying the first video on the top-right of the page.

Many thanks.

Edited by sermat

So maybe the problem is with the site itself. Can anybody confirm this? I'm trying the first video on the top-right of the page.

I am at work on a Win2K box running firefox. The video will not play for me. I never get past "Transferring data from release.theplatform.com"

The video will not play for me. I never get past "Transferring data from release.theplatform.com"
Same here (Firefox on Mandriva from home). I see the CBS video logo and then nothing else. I thought that because Scarecrow had seen them it might be a work thing. But maybe not :unsure:

I could, and should write a small book on watching Internet video from CBS. I've complained about it in at least 4 emails to CBS in the past 15 months. CBS is not Linux/Unix or Firefox friendly.

If you try to use the Firefox 'User Agent Switcher' or IE6 with wine 'and flash', you get this:

The video you have choosen to watch is only available in Flash Video format, you do not currently have the Flash Video player installed. Click the link below to install.

If you install the latest version of flash player (9.0.115.0) with at least Firefox 2.0.0.8 and the latest Java version available (CBS uses it), you may be able to watch some of the video.

Note: You must visit the site with Windows using IE first, and register for some of the video. Then copy the cookies to your Linux-Firefox cookies.

I've found that what you can't view as 'normal' MS-IE users, you can use UnPlug.

Works for me! :)

Guys: Thank you all very much for such great response and help. I'm marking this thread as "SOLVED" because after reading your expriences, I'm convinced that it is the cbs.com problem. So for now, this site is off my "to visit" list.

Thanks again, and best regards,

serge.