Gentoo in Crisis?

spinynorman

Gentoo Linux made the headlines last week and once again it was for the wrong reasons. It appears that the Gentoo Foundation's charter as a non-profit organisation was revoked several weeks ago, when it was discovered that all except two trustees had resigned or were unreachable: "There has not been any public explanation from the Foundation's trustees as to why this was allowed to happen, or what steps are being taken, if any, to fix this. This is very bad for the morale of the Gentoo community." The founder of Gentoo also offers a solution - his return as President of Gentoo Foundation: "If I return as President, I will preserve the not-for-profit aspect of Gentoo. Beyond this, you can expect everything to be very, very different than how things are today." The response by the Gentoo community was mixed - some launched a petition supporting the return of Robbins as the project's benevolent dictator, but others seem to be against the idea. Whatever your opinion, one thing is clear: a radical solution is needed to take Gentoo Linux out of the current quagmire. Failing that, the latest news item on the Gentoo Linux home page -- announcing the October 15 weekly newsletter -- could be the project's very last news release.

DistroWatch Weekly

I never have used it personally (I'm just to lazy for it), but I hope it will not fade away, since it is always good to have a choice.

oh nos! :o

if gentoo goes away, i won't get to sit and wait for my installs to finish compiling!!

Oh, don't worry. There is still GoboLinux, Lunar Linux, or, if you are SM enough, LFS... :D

Just kidding, of course. Gentoo may not be my cup of tea (cause I don't believe in source based distros), but its wiki is absolutely the most brilliant to find anywhere, and I surely don't want to miss it.