subpixel hinting in Mandriva 2008 is unavailable

coverup

I am answering my own post for the benefit of those who might have had the same question... I just installed libfreetype6 from the PLF repository, and that was it.

On my screen, this actually turned things to a worse - fonts became sharper, but thinner and harder to read. It also turned out that the change could not be reversed... unless you are willing to take risk :D Download libfreetype6 rpm from the Mandriva repository, then as root

#rpm -i --force libfreetype6-2.3.5-2mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

This will install Mandriva's version of libfreetype6 alongside with that from PLF. Now you can uninstall the PLF version in a usual way via MCC or urpmi. This will leave only libfreetype6-2.3.5-2mdv2008. :lol2:

The best solution to the problem of fuzzy looking fonts was to turn on autohinting by adding the following section to ~/.fonts.conf (at the very end, right before </fontconfig>)

<match target="pattern" >
<edit mode="assign" name="autohint" >
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>

This may or may not work without libfreetype6 from the PLF repo. I did install it but was not satisfied with the result.