Yet another dual boot problem...[solved]

Countable

I feel like i'm somewhat getting the short end of the stick as far as problem-free mandriva computing goes these days, but anyway:

Trying to dual boot XP and Linux, i re-installed mandriva 2008 from a dvd and saved half of my 110GB hard drive for windows. After formatting each partition for its particular use i installed mandriva and then proceeded to install XP into the partition using its installer menu. The partition is recognised but when i tell it to install there it says that partition cant be used because it's not in the windows format.

I thought the windows format was either FAT32 or NTFS, but neither of these works at all. I'm going to try some more but if anyone knows what's really going on it'd be great if you could show me what to do. Perhaps then i'll have no need to plague the forums with endless questions to obscure problems that shouldnt even be there :huh:

The windows installer prefers to do it itself. For this reason, it is better to create a fat partition and direct windows to use it. Windows will still want to format into NTFS, which is really best for windows. By creating the partitions ahead of time, you will make windows only use part of the drive. (Usually windows will attempt to format the entire drive and wipe out other partitions!) You will have to reinstall the boot loader via rescue. Unfortunately, none of this is particularly unusual for windows.

I've decided that it might be a better idea to do things the other way round: install windows and then fix the partition. Currently windows is installing on my PC so ill get back soon as.

Updatez: It worked!

Heres me after 48 hours without sleep: 7yftzx1.jpg

Now i have a laptop that does everything i'd ever want it to. ^.^