Can't play audio files

Guest faizanh

Guest faizanh

Hello Freinds,

I have recently installed Mandriva 2008. Iam Facing the Following Problems.

I tried hard can t find the Solution. :wall:

a)I cannot play any audio files.

My Hardware Config

------------------------

Intel d945gcpe

intel dual core

intex sound card ....

Can any one guide what i need to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Faizan

Faizan,

Seriously, you should get a Creative Labs Sound Blaster sound card. It has always been Linux friendly. You should be able to get the cheapest one for about $20.00 US dollars. It will cure you sound problems fast.

I did a Google search for your motherboard and it shows that you might have a Realtek onboard sound card? If so it should work with Mandriva, also.

Later. Pepse.

Soundblasters have terrible drivers (hardware-wise they are fine) and should be avoided at all costs. This applies for any OS, incl. windoze.

Your onboard card should work without too much fuss. Can you give the exact motherboard model?

Edited by scarecrow

I have a Creative sound card in Desktop 2, it works well in Windows. But in Mandriva, mild static comes out of the speakers when I am playing a CD (it uses Sound Juicer by default) and the web browser refreshes a web page or if an existing web page is scrolled up or down. The CD audio may also skip (go slient) occasionally, but in looking at the light on the CD-ROM drive (a Creative 52x), it blinks very fast when the audio skips, which may mean that it is having problems reading the CD, but I do not know if it is the CD or the drive itself that is bad. Since this appears to be video-connected, the system is using the nVIDIA 96XX driver, the monitor is a Sceptre X9G Naga-III (LCD, 19-inch).

In Desktop 1 (Mandriva Linux-only PC) there is an Inland sound card with a C-Media 8738 chip on it. Despite the slow speed of that system (by today's standards), the audio is perfect, no static, no distortions, this system has a Mitsumi 54x CD-ROM drive.. Although, if I am on a web site using Desktop 1 that has a Flash video (e.g. YouTube), the video in the Flash applet will be sluggish, yet the audio portion remains perfect...

Edited by edwardp