src.rpm

when ever i build a src.rpm it always end up in the i586 folder when i have a atherlon xp, is the a command i am ment to pass to it to build it for amd's finest or is it the norm to be build for the i586

You can specify the processor but I have seen it discussed mostly in relation to kernel compiles in the newsgroup. People there report both significant improvement and others, no change, so I suspect good results may depend on hardware other than just the CPU. It may make a difference on processor intensive applications as well but that is not widely discussed either, so your mileage may vary. You might consider a Google Groups search on the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake with athlon, duron etc. as the keywords.

To answer your other question, a src.rpm is source code packaged as an rpm instead of gzip or tar.gz, etc. and still needs to be compiled. A noarch.rpm is a program where it does not matter what processor is being used including alpha, etc.

Counterspy.

OK, someone slap me if I'm wrong, but I've always compiled my kernel and it's been a long time since I built an rpm on a default kernel, but isn't it going to be built as a i586 as long as that's what the kernel is...a default i586. In other words, is it correct to say that they won't go to the athlon folder until you compile the kernel for the athlon??? Because, I just reinstalled because of kernel compile probs (which I've never had) and reiserfs probs, and when I built the nvidia drivers from src they went to i586. So, either I'm correct, or mdk has got a bad bug, which I don't think is the case because we would have heard about this from somewhere...I mean, wouldn't it be BIG NEWS???

That's wrong. I have plain Mdk8.1 kernel running (for i586). But I have a PentiumII (i686). when I compile a .src.rpm, it ends up in the i686 directory.

Yves.

Right and wrong, most src will end up i686, but Nvidia always ends up i586.

I wonder if you rebuilt gcc from source nvidia would be i686 ??