Two screens while playing certain games??

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Hi

One of my favorite Linux games is an oxoyd-type puzzle game called enigma. I've installed and played this with no problems in MDK but in RedHat, when I start the game I get two separate screens. One of these takes up about 3/4 of the left screen and the other takes up about 1/4 over on the right. Each screen has it's own cursor, menu, etc and when I move the cursor on the left to play the game, it will also move on the right (sort of like seeing double). I also have this problem with a lemmings-type game called "Pingus"

What gives and how do I correct this?. They are really great games and it's a shame I'm having this problem. Hopefully, there is an easy, non-technical fix for it:)

PS: the same thing happens wether I use KDE or Gnome and I use RH Linux 8.0 btw

Thanks

Maybe the solution is to use Mandrake?

lol. DOlson, he tried to use Mandrake and ran into a variety of problems which couldn't be solved. they were odd, i admit. but that's why he's not using Mandrake. :wink:

Maybe the solution is to use Debian?

Maybe the solution is to use Gentoo? :wink:

(not serious here greeneggs, just picking on DOlson)

Sorry I don't have an actual answer for you, but I've never seen nor heard of what you describe happening. Neither do I have any idea what would cause it :?

Guest greeneggs

My video card is a via. It is built onto the motherboard. I would provide a screenshot except I don't know where to upload it. I switched to RedHat because I've had a lot better luck doing things on it but would prefer using MDK. I've also tried Debian (hav'nt tried Gentoo yet though).

- Peace

My video card is a via. It is built onto the motherboard. I would provide a screenshot except I don't know where to upload it. I switched to RedHat because I've had a lot better luck doing things on it but would prefer using MDK. I've also tried Debian (hav'nt tried Gentoo yet though).

- Peace

Send it to me, and I can put it up and link you to it.

dana@mandrakeusers.org

Guest greeneggs

Hi DOlson

Well, I re-installed the game (Enigma), loaded up the GIMP, ran the game, saw the split-screen thing and did a screen capture but the screen capture showed only one screen and everything looked normal so I don't know how to do this now.

All I know is that when I run this game (enigma) or Pingus (the lemmings game), I get two desktops with two instances of the game, two instances of the cursor, etc. I have no idea why this is'nt showing up on my screensgot but perhaps this will serve as a clue(?)

Thanks

How are the boarders of the screen?

Are they a little off from when things run normally?

If they are then its a screen resolution problem.

The games are trying to run at a rate that your monitir can't handle the right way. I get that kind of thing when i try to push my monitor a little to hard.

Find out if you can change the resolution in the game to what your normaly running on your desk top. Maybe this way you won't have to load in a different vidio driver or edit anything by command line yet. Though I think you might have to in the long run.

If you set your monitor to its default settings how much boarder do you have around the screen normaly? I know i twiddle with the monitor settings to get that last little bit of my screen used.

Guest greeneggs
How are the boarders of the screen?

Are they a little off from when things run normally?

If they are then its a screen resolution problem. 

The games are trying to run at a rate that your monitir can't handle the right way. I get that kind of thing when i try to push my monitor a little to hard.

Find out if you can change the resolution in the game to what your normaly running on your desk top. Maybe this way you won't have to load in a different vidio driver or edit anything by command line yet. Though I think you might have to in the long run.

If you set your monitor to its default settings how much boarder do you have around the screen normaly? I know i twiddle with the monitor settings to get that last little bit of my screen used.

Well, I just switched the resolution from 800x600 to 640x480 and the game displayed normally but now everything on my desktop is huge and I'm not comfortable with it this way. I also tried the resolution at 1024x768 and got 5 different desktops so now I wonder if there is some way to specify the resolution while I'm compiling the game. Would any of you please mind downloading this game, modifying it so that it runs in a resolution of 800x600 and then creating an i386 RPM from it and making it available for download?. this would not only be a great help to me but a service to the community as well since I'm sure others are more than likely running into the same thing. Oh...it's a great game to with superb graphics, excellent gameplay, gobs of levels and some pretty cool music. It also compiles easily and should require no additional dependancies.

Here's the game's homepage and some really nice screenshots...

http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/

Thanks!

Guest greeneggs
Have you installed the drivers from the VIA web site?

No, I've been pretty much "out of it" because of my medical problems and running to different doctors lately so I have'nt gotten much of anything done. I will check out the via drivers soon and see if they have them for Linux buit the way I've been feeling lately...