Skype phone?

javaguy

I'm thinking about getting one of those cordless phones that plugs into the USB and is supposed to play nicely with Skype, handling things like my Skype contact list on the phone's LCD in addition to Skype-in and Skype-out. Does anybody have any recommendations? Obviously it has to work with Mandriva.

Very of few of the computer-reliant Skype phones are Linux-compatible.

But there is a phone from Netgear that doesn't need to be connected to a computer - it connects to your wireless network and has its on Skype client running on the phone. Nice thing is you can take it anywhere with you, like a mobile. They also have a Skype base phone that is both a normal cordless telephone and Skype phone and also doesn't require a computer. I'd go with one of those.

EDIT: This is the phone I'm talking about.

I'm thinking about getting one of those cordless phones that plugs into the USB and is supposed to play nicely with Skype, handling things like my Skype contact list on the phone's LCD in addition to Skype-in and Skype-out. Does anybody have any recommendations? Obviously it has to work with Mandriva.

These phones are just wireless headsets. Mandriva will recognize them as soundcard devices, and you will be able to use them as such but the keypads will be dead. Under WinXP, those phones are controlled by their own drivers so the keypads have some extra functionality such as scrolling through the list of contacts and dialing, but frankly those extra functions are pretty much useless since you still have to have skype running on the computer.

The phone which SoulSe mentioned is, in fact, a crippled PDA in a phone package,. It has a WiFi card, so it can run its own version of skype. But do some research before you buy it - I read a review a while ago which claimed that apparently they could only connect to unencrypted WiFi networks. I can't confirm that but consider yourself warned.