Two Linuses

Can anyone explain how I add another Linux? I'm dual booting Mandrake 9.1 with Windows but I have a copy of SuSe 8.2 which I'd like to run. I have a 60Gig HDD with 7 Gigs of Windows and all the rest Mandrake and a 6 Gig slave HDD with a small Win partition and the bulk given over to backup of Mandrake. I'd like to repartition hda and give SuSe about 6 Gigs. How to do?

Finlay

I see. I think. So all I have to do is create partitions for suse and mount them on /suse /, suse/home, suse/usr etc.

The problem is with lilo not being able to boot suse. so either use grub or boot SuSe from a floppy or create my suse partitions under mnt/.

Does that seem a fair summary?

Finlay

I'm not sure about the lilo doesn't boot suse, why is that?

In my case, I had two versions of Mandrake and used my older mandrake's lilo (mandrake1) to boot either mandrake. By using fstab to mount mandrake2's / partition, I could then reference it within mandrake1's lilo.conf file. Should be able to do the same with suse unless lilo simply doesn't work with suse?

Lilo does work for suse and suse provided lilo rpms. Now, whether a mdk lilo will boot a suse. I don't know?

This link is for the animated lilo, but I post it just to show

"It should still be possible for you to install these boot screens on your computer if you start by installing the patched version of LILO provided by SuSE"

http://www.gamers.org/~quinet/lilo/help.html

I've never installed suse, but I'd think it would be like any other distro and during install would still select a

/

/home

The /mnt/suse or /suse and /suse/home is to mount the suse filesystem within mandrake which has nothing to do with installing suse or booting to suse.

Your biggest concern is how to resize mandrake and not lose data. This is if understand correctly that mandrake takes up the rest of the drive. I've chosen the resize option in diskdrake and it says all data will be lost, so....can you post the results of

df -h

in a terminal? Because you're going to have to bkup a partition>resize>restore data to partition, some of which will have to be done at init 1 or from a windows partition program that supports ext3 if you're using ext3. What kind of fs's are you using?

This is the result of df -h:

[root@localhost fin]# df -h

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda7            1012M   90M  923M   9% /

/dev/hda6              23M  2.4M   20M  11% /boot

/dev/hdb5             4.7G  3.1G  1.4G  70% /extra

/dev/hda8              21G  1.3G   19G   7% /home

/dev/hda1             7.8G  1.7G  6.1G  22% /mnt/win_c

/dev/hdb2             1.3G  359M  965M  28% /mnt/win_c2

/dev/hda9              27G  1.7G   25G   7% /usr

/dev/hda10            565M  121M  445M  22% /var

And yes, I have a problem since I considered using Partition Magic to resize and create partitions, and it doesn't (well, not the version I have) handle reiserfs - the fs I'm using. So, okay, I back up and reinstall Mandrake after resizing my partitions. Then I install SuSe in the new partitions. How do I get lilo to list both of these and Windows? Sorry if I'm being thick here. (maybe a Windows bootloader like BootMagic would do the job, but I feel that would be cheating :-))

Finlay

Finlay

Lilo will detect Windows and Mandrake at install. You'll only have to add SuSe after you install it. The easiest way is to use diskdrake to tell you where the suse partitions are ,hda8 hda9 for example. Then tell diskdrake a mount point, for example /mnt/suse for suse's /, then tell diskdrake you are done and it'll ask if you want to write the changes to /etc/fstab, say yes, then tell diskdrake to mount /mnt/suse. Open a filemanager and browse to /mnt/suse/boot and cp the /mnt/suse/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x to mandrakes /boot (making sure it has a diff name than what you already have in mandrakes /boot). Then edit mandrakes /etc/lilo.conf to point to suse's /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x>run lilo -v and your done. To edit lilo.conf just copy the existing mandrake section and edit the paths, vmlinuz, and append's.

• 11 months later...