Installing screenlets

Countable

Make sure that you can see hidden files in your favorite file manager. From what I just looked up, the screenlets directory is hidden, perhaps /home/.screenlets, or /home/username/.screenlets

How do I install new Screenlets?

Easy Way

Simply open up the Screenlets manager (System - Preferences - Screenlets). Select the Install option on your right, search for the screenlet you want to install, select it, and you're all set.

Manually

Some screenlets that weren't updated to the new API don't work with the Screenlets manager installation method, and need to be installed manually. You need to copy the Screenlet's directories to either your ~/.screenlets directory (if it doesn't exists, just create it) or to /usr/local/share/screenlets (for system-wide access).

It is there in the FAQ

This is assuming that you have installed the base package first.

In Mandriva, /usr/share/screenlets

Also /usr/share/screenlets-manager

I had to install Gnome in order to find out! You could have told me. :D

This FAQ is for ubuntu, does that matter?

No, only the first part is for ubuntu under the heading "Installation instructions for Ubuntu users (Edgy Eft/Feisty Fawn/Gutsy Gibbon)", the rest of it is generic.

Nope, it doesnt seem to be there.

Ix is correct, somebody in their infinite wisdom at Mandriva changed the directory from /usr/local/share/screenlets (that's what is in the upstream makefile) to /usr/share/screenlets. Not very smart IMHO as anyone looking at the authors documentation will be looking at the wrong place, and it's not as if it desperately needed to be moved.

Anyway, if you don't see /usr/share/screenlets then you will need to install screenlets-0.0.10-1mdv2008.0.i586.rpm (if you are using i586, screenlets-0.0.10-1mdv2008.0.x86_6.rpm4 for 64-bit) via urpmi. As for the screenlets directory in /home, you will need to create that yourself, should you require it.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi