GeForce Gfx5500 [solved]

AussieJohn

I have a problem with the named Video card in Mandriva2008.

I have tried three different Kernels and the Mandriva/nvidia drivers and the Nvidia driver itself. The drivers install with no apparent problems but when rebooted one finds that the drivers are not working.

Using a Mandriva2008 Live CD does not work at all since it goes to the video driver stage but won't go past it.

It is a friends machine, not mine and the card is only 4weeks old. I have spent a great amount of time without much luck.

Is it likely to be a faulty card or are the recent drivers incompatible. If so, what driver is suggested.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

I don't know how old the card is, but for my GeForce TI 4400 I have to use the Nvidia-Legacy drivers. If the card is an old enough make, perhaps you require those.

You say that you're getting output or else you wouldn't know that things were being compiled. Does it work okay with the "nv" driver?

Jon

Thanks Jon. Yes it does work with the "nv" driver and the board is new. (4weeks old) The problem is that none of the GL Screensavers will work with the "nv" driver.

I had absolutely NO trouble with any of this in 2007-Spring.

In my searching it seems that this card is a real dog and has been from the beginning, even to Windows users. So much so that NVIDIA don't support it anymore.

This really angers me because my friends bought the card at my suggestion of nvidia to replace the ATI card they originally bought.

It annoys me more that such a lemon of a card is still actively sold. I discovered for the first time that nvidia hides behind an nvidia users forum which it does not respond to. You can see literally hundreds of user problems that have not received a single response in months. Disgraceful, not on the part of the users forum members themselves but of NVIDIA itself.

I realize now that I have been a very naive NVIDIA supporter indeed.

I seem to remember vaguely quite some long time ago that there was an old driver that worked at the time for a particular card and all later drivers didn't but I can't remember which card it was or the drivers. I am suspecting this is the card. . Maybe someone else has an idea.

Sadly I often get the feeling that this and many other problems in Mandriva2008 are due to Mandriva and not the drivers themselves or the newer kernels. I am probably wrong and I hope I am.

Cheers. John.

Hi jbuckley.

I am using an FX5400 and I have no problems with it on all the Mandriva versions you mention nor did my friends have any problems with their FX5200 on those same Mandriva versions including 2008, until it failed that 4weeks ago.

JB

Edited by AussieJohn

I have a GeForce FX5500 128MB AGP 8x installed on my test box running Mandriva 2008 using the dkms-nvidia-current (100.14.19-1mdv2008.0) that is working without any problems for me.

From glxinfo

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5500/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 2.1.0 NVIDIA 96.31

From glxgears

7057 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1411.225 FPS
7058 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1411.514 FPS
7059 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1411.764 FPS

As you can see, it's not a very fast GPU, but it does everything I need it for without any problems.

Many users purchased these thinking they were faster than the GeForce4 Ti series, but they are not. My very old GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB AGP 8x does

18530 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3705.907 FPS
18536 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3707.155 FPS
18530 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3705.928 FPS

I believe that this is what most of the complaints are about.

Please keep in mind that glxgears isn't necessarily a good test of performance. It's more intended to make sure that glx is working properly, not for benchmarking. You'd be better off comparing performance in a real 3d app/game.

Please keep in mind that glxgears isn't necessarily a good test of performance.

I realize that. :)

It does give you an idea of what's happening tho. For the official record, Doom3 has over twice the FPS with the Ti 4200 at the same display resolution.

John,

I have had your same experience with the nvidia user forum. It's pitiful. The people that respond back were rude and crass to me. I can't handle that when traditionally I've purchased their video cards ON PURPOSE. It's poor service.

Jon

Hello Greg.

Thanks for buying into this. Could you please give me a list of the kernel, source, dkms, etc that you are currently using.

I'll be working on this problem in about 18 hours time and then I can compare with what I have tried to use so far.

Thanks in advance and cheers. John.

Could you please give me a list of the kernel, source, dkms, etc that you are currently using.

Here's the list. It's a test box I've set up to check used parts I purchase at local computer shows. So it's just a basic install of Mandriva Free 2008 with no new updates.

[greg@testbox ~]$ rpm -qa |grep nvidia
nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0
x11-driver-video-nvidia-current-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0
dkms-nvidia-current-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0
nvidia-current-kernel-desktop-latest-100.14.19-1.20071003.1mdv2008.0
[greg@testbox ~]$ rpm -qa |grep kernel
kernel-desktop-latest-2.6.22.9-1mdv2008.0
nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0
kernel-desktop-2.6.22.9-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.9-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
nvidia-current-kernel-desktop-latest-100.14.19-1.20071003.1mdv2008.0

Cheers :)

Thank you Greg and everyone who helped.

I tried all the suggestions and more and although the drivers both new and old seemed to install without errors, the darned card would not work. When you rebooted it would get to the video screen part and just freeze on a black screen every time.

So we dumped it and my friends bought an FX7600 instead. It installed like a dream. Could not have been better or easier.

The problem is not closed but I think this thread can be regarded as closed.

Cheers. John.