Problem with Session Manager in Mandriva 2008

linux_challenged

I am having a problem with the KDM Session Manager not showing shutdown options when I log out.

I get as far as the box that allows me to "End the current session" but, where I would expect to see a menu come up with the shutdown options the system waits for a bit with the spinning icon and then a black screen pops up with a stationary cursor.

Does anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it?

thanx in advance

It is possible that your user file (found at /home/username/.kde) has become corrupted. You can rename that file to .kdeold, and then kde will make a new file. But remember that all of your customizations will have to be re-done.

It is possible that your user file (found at /home/username/.kde) has become corrupted. You can rename that file to .kdeold, and then kde will make a new file. But remember that all of your customizations will have to be re-done.

thanx for your response...

Your suggestion did not work but I noticed while looking at the path (/home/username/.kde) that there is also a kde file located at /home/username/documents/kde-me. I wonder if the two are conflicting.

Also, when I renamed .kde to .kdeold, a new one was created immediately. I would think the new one would be generated

at my next login.

I am really at a loss how to fix this. Even though it is a small problem, it is kind of a hassle to power off and power back up. I am running mandriva in a dual boot with xp and sometimes I need to go back to the xp side.

I have even tried running the live cd version and the problem exists there as well.

That is curious. There is a quick way to shut down and reboot. You can open a console and simply type "halt" to shut down and "reboot" to reboot. I actually do this instead of logging out by the GUI. The system will do as commanded. But this does not really address your primary problem, which I am not sure of at the moment.

I am having a problem with the KDM Session Manager not showing shutdown options when I log out.

Are you runnig Gnome or KDE? The only time I've experienced this behaviour was when I had chosen the "wrong" display manager for my window manager; i.e. GDM for KDE or vice versa.

Are you runnig Gnome or KDE? The only time I've experienced this behaviour was when I had chosen the "wrong" display manager for my window manager; i.e. GDM for KDE or vice versa.

I am running KDE which was what I selected at installation. Also, I am using the KDM display manager - I checked that to verify. The only other option for display manager is XDM - should there be others?

I am using the Metisse option for 3d effects. I am also using the Mandriva menu. Aside from selecting Metisse, which was familiar to me from the 2007 Spring Discovery (my first exposure to Mandriva) everything else was set up by default during the installation process, after selecting the KDE desktop option. I have not even progressed to the point of trying any custom stuff or much command line interaction.

This is why it is so frustrating to me. I would think that new users could expect to have basic functions like logging in and logging out to work right out of the box, so to speak. Hardware configuration,setting up the packages, etc, one could expect to have to do some fiddling around. I understand that.

I have openSUSE installed on and booting from a usb hard drive which I connect up to the same laptop when I want. I am also running KDE on it, and, aside from a wireless connection problem, it runs flawlessly. I don't understand what the difference is. What is the real difference between distros?

One thing I did notice when comparing the menu.lst files is an entry on the lines "showopts" that is missing from the Mandriva menu.lst - do you suppose that could be the issue? Isn't the menu.lst created automatically during installation?

I am considering trying an install of the "free" version of Mandriva 2008. I found a discussion about the "perfect desktop" and think it might be my last try at this. I have even tried a reinstall of Mandy One 2008, thinking that might fix the problem. No luck there either.

I guess I am kind of unwilling to give up on Mandriva, mostly because of the "curb appeal" which was what lead me to try it out. As I am running it in a dual boot setup, it would be nice to have the logout options working so that I can switch back and forth when I need to. At least until I can become more confident with linux - then I will ditch windows.

I have wondered if I tried a GNOME installation if that would fix the problem...