How do I create a separate session for Compiz?

fisher

• 3 weeks later...

You may have issues logging in as another user under compiz-fusion, this is a known bug. Actually, if you don't have issues you will make many people happy by telling us how you did it. Currently if you start another xsession (meaning xwindows session, this is the name for the graphical environment when you log in) on top of an existing one under compiz-fusion you will likely loose your windows decoration (no borders around windows, unable to move them after they open, no graphical/and or multiple desktop switching, etc) until you log back into your original xsession. Highly irritating. So to answer your question it's unlikely you can have multiple functional sessions using compiz-fusion. There is no problem I'm aware of with sessions run outside of a 3D desktop environment. To start one graphically under kde, go to the start menu, then to 'switch user'. There is an option for locking the current session and starting a new one, or starting a new session.

I've found this problem irratating, as I have 3 seperate user accounts on my computer, but the bottom line for me is that I'd rather use compiz-fusion, so I put up with it, and log out of each account before starting a new session. I hope this issue is fixed in future releases of Compiz-fusion. My understanding is that this is one of the harder things to fix. Good luck.

I may be wrong, but here is how I understand the original post: he would want to have two login names for the same UID and the same home directory and so on; one with the usual session (eg: KDE), the other with Compiz.

This would ease a lot switching from one to another configuration:

- without having to fetch the session change in the right menu of the login screen,

- without having to deal with users rights and files' location caused by two different UIDs.

If I understood well, then sorry I think it is impossible because as far as I know, the session configuration is stored in the home directory, hence having two session configurations for the same user would be impossible.

Yves.