Upgrade from Mandriva 2006 to 2008 Video Lost

knightmb

Hi all,

I've searched around the forums and the web. While I can find a lot of talk about certain Video Chipsets not working, my problem is more of a general "just that part never seems to upgrade" kind of issue.

Basically, I have a bunch of Mandriva 2006 machines, that I slowly upgrade one at a time to 2008 (yeah, I missed 2007, sorry), but overall it works without too many issues. Mainly, just a few software tweaks and it's all good. The only issue that is really consistent is the video issue. I have yet to upgrade a mandriva 2006 machine in which the video drivers for X server worked afterwards. It always leaves me back at the console. At first, I thought maybe it was just that machine, but after over a dozen machine upgrades, not a single one has been able to do a successful upgrade for the video. These machines have cards that range form Nvidia GeForce, to ATI, to Intel chipsets. Not a single one has worked. But, if I take the same machine that the upgrade had a part way failed on the video and do a fresh install of 2008, everything works just fine for the video?

So my main question, does anyone have a resource for "upgrading" mishaps where one can work out why the video drivers or X server, or wherever is causing the issue can be started with some troubleshooting?

I'd really like to avoid a clean install on so many machines, mainly due to time restraints of making backups and restoring data, reconfigure, etc. Otherwise, I would be glad to do a clean load anyway because it works fine that way. :wall:

2006->2007.0 was a major change for mandriva: xorg changed from monolithic 6.9 to modular 7.1, where all driver modules are found in seperate packages, probably during the upgrade these packages are not automatically selected.

Edited by ffi

2006->2007.0 was a major change for mandriva: xorg changed from monolithic 6.9 to modular 7.1, where all driver modules are found in seperate packages, probably during the upgrade these packages are not automatically selected.

Yeah, you are correct. The solution is a lot more complicated that I thought when I compared a fresh machine to an upgrade machine. I wouldn't know where to begin to remove everything and start fresh for Xorg and all it's files. I don't know if it would be as simple as "install every package that the fresh machine has", because the structure has changed around to use less files and packages than before.

Thanks for pointing that out though, I guess a fresh load and restoring backup data is the best way to go rather than trying to figure out the package and configuration maze :huh: