Compiz Workaround

Mitchell

Hi people, here's a simple, workable solution to the kde window decorator continually crashing in compiz-fusion. It's not ideal, but neither is a system which keeps crashing.

Periodically my windows would loose their borders, and much of their functionality, when under compiz-fusion the kde window decorator kept crashing. One quick solution was to run as root

# kde-window-decorator --restore

Obviously this got old pretty quickly, particularly when after installing wbar (simple dockbar, great project) from source this would happen every session... So since then I've switched to using the gtk window decorator instead. There aren't as many feautres, it's not supported from the kde control centre, but it works solidly, and I've had no more crashes. Make sure it's installed in the MCC, then in konsole type:

# gtk-window-decorator --replace

After that, open the compiz config settings manager (should be under 'tools' in the menu bar), go to 'window decoration', and in the 'Command' box type "gtk-window-decorator --replace" without the parenthesis, of course. This will make sure the gtk window decorator starts in place of the kde one on login. If you decide to go back to the kde window decorator, and it's various problems, then in Konsole you can type:

# kde-window-decorator --replace

Then go into the compiz config settings manager again, and hit the little paintbrush next to the 'Command' option. This will return it to default. I've heard you can also use the emerald windows decorator, though I haven't tried it. In any event, I'm using a backported version of Compiz-Fusion, and this later release doesn't support Emerald yet. Good luck!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem, and this fix worked for me. I later installed emerald using URPMI, and changed the command for windows decorations to emerald. Emerald does not crash on my system, and gives me a little nicer look. I also added more buttons to the top bar. B)

I had the same problem, and this fix worked for me. I later installed emerald using URPMI, and changed the command for windows decorations to emerald. Emerald does not crash on my system, and gives me a little nicer look. I also added more buttons to the top bar. B)

Same here,

Just an advice... do not install the fusion icon, it seems; at least in my case, to freeze and/or wipe your screen.

Regards

Luis

• 4 weeks later...
Guest _ch4ng3d

Does not work for me.

You see I have the problem even when the window decorator is disabled. When enabled, I tried these three types of decoration:

1)compiz-window-decorator

Title bar missing...

2)emerald

It extends the windows with some decorative border, but the title bar is not showed

3)kde-window-decorator

Finally the title bar is shown. But I cannot manipulate it at all, cannot move the window or use the buttons.

Brings me the idea that the problem isn't in window decoration at least in my case. Any1 experienced similar behaviour?

• 1 month later...
Guest simon b

I have found the window decorator crashes on several machines I set up with a Nvidia card. I tried Emerald and GTK decorators and still experience disappearing window decoration.

I also find the window decorator crashes on the main screen after a remote session using Nomachine or freenx to access the machine.

I have developed a quick cludge which at least keeps my machine functional. It ain't pretty but it works for me. Place this script in ~/.kde/Autostart and make it executable.

#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]; do
 if ! ps aux | grep -i "kde-window-decorator" | grep -v grep &>dev/null; then
	kde-window-decorator --replace &>/dev/null
 fi
 sleep 4
done

The script assumes that kde window decorator is selected and will obviously have to be modified to work with gtk or emerald.