Where to put Mplayer codecs in 2008?

jbuckley2004

I've had on-going problems with the essential codecs for mplayer - the instructions simply aren't clear about where they go. Ususally, I guess /usr/lib/win32 if I build my own version of mplayer, b ut lately I've been using the version supplied by Mandriva. The README file says to put the codecs in /usr/lib/codecs if the pre-built mplayer is used "most likely".

Love them weasle words.

Regardless, I'm still getting some errors, especially on .rm files when I try to play them (but not on all of them - just some).

Does anyone have a definitive answer about where they belong in Mandriva 2008?

Thanks.

Thanks, Dexter.

I did that - installed the win32 codecs from plf, but that didn't solve my real problem, which is a little different from what I let on before.

The real thing is that I can't seem to get any .rm or rtsp streams working right in realplayer (an example is found at any of the "recent program" links at http://www.c-span.org/homepage.asp?Cat=Ser...ArchiveDays=100 ).

I get video, but not sound. Kaffeine crashes when I try. I've assumed it's a codecs problem, but even the win32 codecs didn't solve it.

The real thing is that I can't seem to get any .rm or rtsp streams working right in realplayer (an example is found at any of the "recent program" links at http://www.c-span.org/homepage.asp?Cat=Ser...ArchiveDays=100 ).
You also need the real-codecs from the plf repos. Install them with the mplayer, and win32-codecs from the plf repos. Then open firefox and type in as a url
about:config

rightclick somwhere in the main window you now have, and a box will appear.

Choose "new", then "string". Then copy this line into the appearing text field:

network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp

Into the next text field type:

/usr/bin/mplayer

rightclick again in the main window and choose 'new' then 'boolean', and copy the line:

network.protocol-handler.external.rtsp

Then set 'true'

Close and restart firefox, now Firefox will use mplayer for that protocol.

You also need the real-codecs from the plf repos. Install them with the mplayer, and win32-codecs from the plf repos. ...

Close and restart firefox, now Firefox will use mplayer for that protocol.

Greg, thanks. I had already done the "about:config" bit, and realplay comes up fine with the video. Just no sound, though, which is why I'm stuck thinking it's a problem with the codecs.

I added the real-codecs (thanks for that information! I didn't realize there was a separate set). Still no sound though, even after restarting the browser.

Oh, and yes indeed, the sound *is* turned up on the realplayer console too.

Oh, and yes indeed, the sound *is* turned up on the realplayer console too.

Try using mplayer instead of realplayer, you will only have to edit the /usr/bin/mplayer field, as I have shown in my post.

Mplayer (from plf) plays rtsp streams without any problems for me.

Try using mplayer instead of realplayer, you will only have to edit the /usr/bin/mplayer field, as I have shown in my post.

Mplayer (from plf) plays rtsp streams without any problems for me.

Greg, that's a great idea. I'll do it (um... when I get half a chance). I've seen posts from users who've had success by using gmplayer (I assume that's gnome?) also.

Sigh. I've been using Linux for about 3 years now, and this (sound) is the one area that still makes me feel like an idiot. Even wireless works reasonably intuitively these days, compared to this.