New HP Printer

Ixthusdan

I recently purchased a new cheap HP Printer ($35 US), specifically HP Deskjet D1420. In the past, a brand new model would have had to been experimented with, finding a driver that would work in Linux. I plugged in the printer, and Mandriva went on-line, found a current driver, installed it, and printed a test page, which printer fine. Later, I used CUPS to make sure the printer was making use of both the color and black cartridge. In my opinion, Mandriva has come a long long way in the past 8 years. There was no difference between the Windows install and the Linux install, except that for a moment, Windows was confused by the usb port and my mouse/keyboard stopped working! I had to reboot. No such problem in Linux.

Thumbs up, Mandriva! :thumbs:

@ scarecrow, this is what turned me from Canon to HP... Here in Europe/Finland, when asking for linux drivers from Canon, I get an answer: "go look for some independent open source software; we will not provide one for you!", whereas with HP you don't even need to ask, it works out-of-box (by HP)! How's that for service! :thumbs: for HP!

BTW: the papers and inks are ridiculous for both HP and Canon - at least here in Finland!

Umm... the other cheap printer was a Canon, which would have cost $44 to replace both inks vs the HP $30 for both inks. And, who uses name brand paper, anyway? :P

Contrary to the US... HP has wonderful support here in Australia.

Their inkjet cartridges are more expensive with reason. The print heads are located on the cartridge and not the printer. This means that unlike other printers, who become useless once the print heads wear out, the HP's keep going as you get a new one with each cartridge. We had a HP 660C that worked for a good 12 years, and many of our others are years old but still print like the day we bought them. They also tend to last a good while too.

Anyway, I feel like a broken record.. I know i've repeated this many times here :)

HP support is complete crap here (Greece). Not worth a dime.

Canon has very good support, but using it under Linux means either spending hours compiling messy code from the Japanese Canon FTP (absolutely no warantees it will work!) or shedding 30 Euros for the Turboprint driver (which admittedly works very well). Their papers aren't exactly what I call cheap, but their inks are.

Edited by scarecrow

Aren't we glad we live in democratic and free societies. We can choose freely which products and services we use. :P :thumbs:

Aren't we glad we live in democratic and free societies. We can decide freely which products and services suck. :cheeky:

I used to have a Canon Bubblejet BJC-2100 until it broke. I'm glad it did. I could never get it to print black, only grey. And it wasn't colour settings. It was OK under Windows though printing across the network to the machine it was connected to which was Linux/cups. However, now I have a DeskJet F380 and it works fine under Linux for printing. Of course, I've not tried it's scanning capabilities, although I don't expect it to fare good for that but I'm not worried about scanning. My wife uses it under Windows though, and it's OK.

at the moment I'm using a HP Color Laserjet 2550, which works fine under Mandriva 2008, HP Toolbox works too (did not work reliably back in 2006, have never used the printer on 2007/2007.1).