Usb cable for cellphone

Rowan

I want to get a usb cable to allow me to download photos from my Motorola v3x cellphone. What I want to know is: will 2006 powerpack automatically recognise it when I plug it in ?

My digital camera is recognised straight away without any prompting but all the usb cables (for my phone) that I have seen come with a cd that is windows oriented.

Is anyone able to confirm auto-recognition for my phone?

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know for Mandriva 2006, but 2007/Spring and 2008 all recognize both my RAZR 3i and 3xx without problems, they show up as USB-Devices, I can copy data from/to them just like any ordinary USB-Stick

btw. even in Windows I do not need the software, since the Phones are handled like a standard USB-Device (I can access them through the file-manager), the software is mainly for calendar and mail synchronisation.

Edited by lavaeolus

Thank you all. That satisfies my needs and it is as I was expecting. The only other way for me to get photos to my pc is to email them to myself but the cost of that is horrendous - NZ$60 for 6mb. Ouch!!! For $8 I can buy a cable and use it over and over.

Once again many thanks.

Hold everything.

I have just got a usb cable, plugged it in and, lo and behold, my 2006 Powerpack does NOT automatically recognise my cellphone. I know that the cable is working because my phone is charging up via the usb connection.

Is there some program that I must activate or set up some synchronisation system to make it work ?

Thanks

I can't tell for Mandriva 2006, because it's some time ago I used it, but with 2007/2007.1 and 2008 I had no problems connecting my 3i and 3xx, they showed up as usb-mass-storage devices, only with my new v8 Mandriva 2008 insists that it is a camera :huh: , bluetooth works fine with 2008, although it is a bit slow

This is actually becoming more interesting to me. When I hook my Moto RAZR V3xx into my PC and issue /sbin/lsusb I get

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 22b8:6402 Motorola PCS

which signifies that it finds it. Woot! Then when I do a ls /dev, I see that there are now entires labeled usbdev3.2_epXX where XX specifies that there are in fact 4 entires: 00, 01, 81, and 82. However, when I try to mount these (probably stupid I know) I get the return that usbdev3.2_epXX (00,01,81,82) is not a block device.

So what's up?

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Rowan.

Considering how rock solid Mandriva2007-Spring is, why not upgrade (preferably fresh install) since you have a much better chance of getting it to work. 2006 really is very very old and a lot of the phone technology was hardly around then.

I see you are in Kiwiland so if you have a problem getting hold of 2007-Spring or even 2008, such as no ADSL, then I would be happy to post you a copy of the dvd for free.

To do that just send me a PM (Personal Message) containing a Postal Address and it will be quickly be done.

Cheers. John.

ModMyMoto suggests P2kCommander for Windows. This will sound irrational, but the download website (http://s5vi.vxxxstuff.com/) has so much bling that I am apprehensive.....

From a linux point of view, the program of choice looks to be moto4lin. However, this software does not appear to support the V3xx from what I have read so far.

I think I will take a break from this project and get back to it in a few days. All of this seems unnecessarily complicated. :unsure:

if you have the data stored on the microSD card in the 3xx, there should be no problem accessing it on windows (no extra software needed) it will show up as removable media, the same goes for mandriva 2007.1 and 2008, you can access everything on the microSD card through your file manager (at least for me this worked), v8 is recognized in windows as removable media too, only mandriva still insists that it is a camera (still haven't tested this with other distributions).