Gnome-appearance-properties problem [solved]

apbsa

I have recently been trying to change the appearance of Gnome using gnome-appearance-properties, but the screen stops responding if I try and change from the theme tab. Therefore I can't tweak the theme, change fonts, wallpaper etc. I'm using Mandriva 2008.

When I start the program from the command line I get the feedback:

gnome-appearance-properties: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libhcengine.so: undefined symbol: ge_cairo_inner_stroke_rectangle

I found two references to the problem on the web, but neither appears to provide a comprehensive answer. Has anyone else seen this and found a fix?

I haven't had such problems so far.

Do you have all updates installed ? do you have 3D-Desktop effects enabled ? do the problems occur with a specific theme ?

Thanks for the tips but I can confirm that the problem occurs for all user acounts, including new ones. I have all official updates installed, and the problem occurs with compiz enabled or with a regular 2D desktop. The problem also occurs with any theme, including the Mandriva default.

Has any one else got any ideas?

We can mark this one resolved, thanks to Arctic. I renamed the file /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libhcengine.so and that immediately solved the problem. Gnome-appearance-properties now works as intended. Thanks again!