A Requiem to Netscape

Ixthusdan

Netscape 4.x is still a nice internet suite to use for an old PC such as my "nomade" laptop.

I remember using Netscape back in 1995; at that time, I also used Chimera on my Atari...

Netscape was not the first internet suite, and was not actually the codebase of Mozilla (gecko was born out of a complete rewrite or netscape engine). But still they gave a lot to the open-source community (they did give code, and a lot of man-work), and more generally to the Internet.

Yves.

• 1 month later...

Ha! Youngsters ... I started browsing the Internet with Mosaic. Anyone remember that one? That was the real pioneer; it was the first browser that made web pages actually look visually appealing. Netscape took it to another level, but they also invented a bunch of their own extensions to the standard, like frames and blinking text, both of which are evil.

Having said that, I do feel some nostalgia for the days when Netscape was a powerhouse. Microsoft made a lot of money riding on other peoples' coattails.

I ran across the floppy disks that my version of Netscape came on not too long ago. almost 5 MB. I thought that was massive.

I don't really feel that IE became usable (at all!) until IE4. Then it was flakey. IE 5.5 was the best release that I'd ever seen of IE and I still disliked it.

I find it interesting that most all of us used Netscape even when IE was freely available (in whatever form we could obtain it!). Sure the code sucked, but perhaps we have a bit of disestablishmentism in our blood, too. Perhaps we also like to do things different than most everyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, but it "is" the new Netscape, the one that started with version 6 and was based off Mozilla 0.9; the old Netscape 4 branch is definitely dead but still usefull (see my previous post) and can still be found here:

http://browser.netscape.com/downloads/archive/

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti