Sound device selection

javaguy

A little follow-up...

When I installed Mandi 2008, for the first time ever Linux recognized my onboard sound. Up until now I had used a separate sound card because, although I was assured everywhere that onboard sound should work fine, reality intruded rudely on theory.

With Mandi 2008, it recognized both sound card and onboard sound. I don't remember if it asked me which one I wanted, but when the installation was finished the onboard sound was the one that worked. The microphone worked too!

Then I tried to capture a videotape using my TV card. Up until now how I'd done that was to run a short cable from the TV card's audio-out to the sound card's audio-in. Why? Hell, I don't know, but I had tried lots of different things, and that worked.

So I did the same thing, ran the cable from the TV card audio-out to the onboard sound thingy (I believe that's the industry term for it ;) ) audio-in. Well it kinda sorta worked, but the audio quality was horrible, awful, dreadful. So I decided to try to switch back to the regular system sound card. I ran alsaconf, selected the sound card, and things went all to hell from there.

I got sound okay, but the microphone doesn't work. I also can't get sound in movies any more, no matter which input I connect to the TV card. And this is the killer--I did get system sound, but World of Warcraft was eerily silent, whereas it worked with the onboard sound. So I ran alsaconf again and selected the onboard sound again (it's the Nvidia mcp61 if that matters). With onboard sound hooked up again, system sound still works now, and WoW has sound once again, but the microphone no longer works. The audio-in jack no longer works at all, whereas before it worked but made a horrible scratchy sound.

I've tinkered with kmix, and I think I have everything right, but still nothing from the mic. Here are my kmixer settings:

http://sammckee.com/output.jpg

http://sammckee.com/input.jpg

http://sammckee.com/switches.jpg

I'm at my wit's end. It worked before!

Yeah, I know I could wipe my root partition and reinstall. :( I'm not crazy, though, about a "solution" that leaves me still mystified as to what the problem was.

Sound in 2008 is a total disaster and Mandriva do not acknowledge it. Sound works intermittently for no accountable reason.

Making suggestions to do work arounds via cli is not a suitable answer in my opinion. Especially since there were no sound problems that I know of in 2007-Spring.

I suggest going back to 2007-Spring and wait for 2008-Spring in the hope that have fixed the disasters in 2008 without adding new problems.

I have stayed with 2007-Spring and have not regretted it.

To me it doesn't matter whether the problems are from the Kernels or KDE or Mandriva itself, they should have been fixed by now.

To further show how flakey 2008 is........I installed 2008 no less than 6 times and not once was the Epson Firewire scanner detected and so only a cli workaround worked.

Because of this I installed 2008.1alpha and it was detected perfectly and simply started immediately. Sound was still faulty and mouse thumb button still didn't work. After a lot of playing about I decided that it was a waste of time so I reinstalled 2008. Wonder of wonders this time Firewire Scanner worked and has done through numerous reboots and different kernels.

One cannot have much faith in a version when it is so unpredictable and unreliable.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I suggest going back to 2007-Spring and wait for 2008-Spring in the hope that have fixed the disasters in 2008 without adding new problems.

It seems that 2008 Spring will follow the fashion and use PulseAudio as main sound server- and since it will be a brand new apporaoch, this means a possibility of MORE problems than before.

That is similar to my feelings but lets keep our fingers crossed. :D :D

Cheers and a HNY2008 to you. John.

AussieJohn, I'm so glad to hear you saying this. I thought *I* was going crazy with the sound problems. It may not be a total disaster in 2008 (my on-board sound words for the first time too), but it's nearly so.

Javaguy, I think we'll both wait for this to be fixed in "spring".