Mandriva 2008 Kernel Configuration

Hi all,

I've got an installation of 2008 i586.dvd free running ok. I thought I'd try my hand at configuring the kernel. Got some info of the net, perhaps to outdated!

First issue is my installation didn't install the kernel source, I checked in install software but can't find anything to install the source. I have got a copy of kernel 2.6.23.8 off magazine cover disk, but have just learnt about the grsecurity patch, so i want to stick with the original kernel if its already patched (any one know?).

Second thing I tried make xconfig to configure the kernel, and xconfig isnt installed either. Does mandriva 2008 have a newer program for configuration, or do I have to install it off the disk, or download of net?

Thanks guys

if you have setup online repositories there should be a package called kernel-source-2.6.22.12-1mdv or kernel-source-latest

I think it is included (not having the DVD version I cant be absolutely certain), but it is just not installed onto your hard disk. Fire up the control center, goto software, search for kernel and install the source-files. Note: the kernel-devel files only contain sufficient info to build other software against the kernel, but not the complete source (only header files). In order to rebuild the kernel, you will need kernel-source of your version..

Edited by pindakoe

beware, the kernel got updated and so did the source, therefore you should use the newest version from the online repositories.

kernel-source-2.6.22.12-1mdv is the most recent version

Edited by lavaeolus

I happen to have the iso mounted as a nfs share and the source is included on the free dvd at DVD:/media/main/kernel-source-2.6.22.9-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

Thanks for that, I was able to install it off the dvd from install or remove software.

I was able to use make menuconfig to edit the kernel. I will install the modified kernel over weekend.