Problem burning Mandriva 2008 ISO DVD

paulopen

I downloaded Mandriva Powerpack 2008 ISO DVD and I am trying to burn it on a DVD, using K3B 0.12.17 on KDE 3.5.4 and Mandriva 2007.0 Powerpack. It seems to write succesfuly, but when it check for errors, K3B always find an error when 90% done. Any hints?

Paulo

Check md5sum?

Using good media?

Burning slower?

Are you compiling programs while burning?

Are you leaving the computer turned on?

OK, the last one was a joke!

Check md5sum?

Yes

Using good media?

I guess so (Elgin DVD-R 8x)

Burning slower?

My K3B does not allow me to change speed.

Are you compiling programs while burning?

No

Are you leaving the computer turned on?

Oooops... forgot that! :wall:

If you downloaded the ISO at a FAT32 partition, then its surely broken. FAT32 can't handle files larger than 4G.

mkisofs unpatched cannot handle single files larger than 4G too, but there's no problem with ISO images, no matter how big they are. Just burn them to DVD as IMAGES- not as files.

I downloadedthe ISO at a ext3 partition. I am burning ISO images. I read somewhere that k3b can't burn more than 4 Gb (my ISO has 4,3 Gb). In the K3B site, they say about k3b 1.0.4:

* K3b now silently allows the burning of files bigger than 4 GB if an appropriate version of genisoimage or mkisofs is installed ("silently" means that I did not introduce any new messages)

* I was not able to find the aweful "disabled DMA" bug but I introduced a little workaround which hopefully solves it for many of you (BTW: K3b from svn trunk does support DVD burning with cdrecord.)

* Never use growisofs parameter -dvd-compat with DVD-RW media in restricted overwrite mode (some drivesdo not like that)

* Unmount medium before DVD formatting

I tried to install version 1.0.4, but running ./configure, there is an error message: "checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!". But I don't know what I should do to "check my installation and add the correct paths"!

Check the package manager in drakconf aka Mandriva Control Centre (Do alt & f2 then type drakconf or mcc), version 1.0.3 should be there.

I am running Mandriva 2007. It seems that k3b 1.0.3 is only in Mandriva 2008.

That 4Gb limit file size in K3B is something I would like to bypass too.

That 4Gb limit does not apply in K3B when burning iso. I am regularly burning DVD iso in K3B.

I have a vcr screen capture of the Australian winning of the Americas Cup from years ago that is 6.4Gbs, and a HD-T screen capture that is 4.3Gbs.

They are both mpeg2.

I have dual layer discs for the large file and 4.3 should fit on a standard DVD.

K3B won't even look at them because they are both over 4GBs. This is really stupid and annoying. I am holding out for a solution in K3B or I will finally have to resort to Windows again. Damn. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Cheers and a Happy New Year 2008 to everyone here at MUB. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

There's absolutely no reason to upgrade for burning that ISO properly. As John said, the problem is just with mastering a DVD with a file being larger than 4G, while with ISO's there's nothing to worry about. And anyway, to fix the 4GB compiling problem, you do ***NOT*** need tha latest K3B version, but rather cdrkit 1.1.5 or newer.

The compiling error you got suggests that you are missing xorg-devel, as well as some more devel packages. You can't compile anything without them. And anyway forget compiling from source, this is a wee bit further than step one.

That 4Gb limit file size in K3B is something I would like to bypass too.

It's already solved, John...read above. If using Mandy 2008, just try burning your files.

Edited by scarecrow

Scarecrow.

I just booted back in to 2008.

cdrkit1.1.6-5 is installed.

K3B (1.0.3 version) still won't work past 4Gbs no matter what I try.

Or were you referring to using a different (e.g. cli burn) method about which "I no nussing". :D

Cheers. John

Edited by AussieJohn

Some followup news.

I downloaded and installed from cooker, the K3B 1.0.4 version and was able to burn to a Dual Layer DVD Disc with no problems at all with the 6.4Gbs Mpeg2 file of the 1983 Americas Cup win by Australia II.

Although it was from cooker it was solid as a rock doing the burn so there is the answer. It will obviously be in 2008Spring when it is released so another problem solved.

Cheers. John.

Good it worked for you.

The new burning suite for Gnome (Brasero 0.7.0) also works, as does using "genisoimage" and "cdrecord" from CLI (second one is fairly easy, but mastering genisomiage is far from trivial... way too many switches, factly NONE of its GUI's is implementing even half of them!).

There's absolutely no reason to upgrade for burning that ISO properly. As John said, the problem is just with mastering a DVD with a file being larger than 4G, while with ISO's there's nothing to worry about. And anyway, to fix the 4GB compiling problem, you do ***NOT*** need tha latest K3B version, but rather cdrkit 1.1.5 or newer.

The compiling error you got suggests that you are missing xorg-devel, as well as some more devel packages. You can't compile anything without them. And anyway forget compiling from source, this is a wee bit further than step one.

It's already solved, John...read above. If using Mandy 2008, just try burning your files.

Well, I solved my problem going to command line and using cdrecord.

Thanks to all and a happy 2008. :thumbs:

Paulo